salfin tang

SexyKatey

Reefing newb
i got salfin tang a couple days ago and i was feeding it seaweed. I have a clown fish in my aquarium with it who i feed frozen brine shrimp. Ive come to notice that my salfin wont eat the seaweed and only the brine shrimp. I know this isnt good is there anyway i can get it to eat the seaweed again? Can i mix it with something? I remember the guy saying something about garlic but im not positive is this true?

You could definitely try adding garlic to the seaweed. Some brands of seaweed sheets come with garlic added (such as Ocean Nutrition). What color seaweed are you using? For some reason, my sailfin wont eat red algae, only green and brown. You might want to try a different brand or a different color and see if that helps.

Also, if the fish was just purchased, it can take several days for them to start eating regularly, so if its only been a few days, keep trying.

I've found that my tang prefers the Ocean Nutrition Marine brand over the San Francisco Bay brand. These are the only seaweed sheets that I have tried. When I place the Ocean Nutrition in the tank, he races over to it and demolishes the sheet. When I tried the San Francisco sheets, he picked at it but not very enthusiastically. I do think it's the garlic. I've noticed that the nassarius snails come out of the sand when I use the sheets w/garlic, even though they don't have any interest in eating it. The garlic in the water really gets everyone juiced up!! Try a different seaweed and see if you can get him interested.

Here is a link to Dr's Foster & Smith. Both brands are sold.
Fish & Aquarium Supplies: Herbivore Fish Foods

Yes, you can get garlic additives from fish stores, there's probably a way to get the same thing out of a clove of garlic (pressing it perhaps?) and you just soak the seaweed sheet in the juice

I suspect he is extremely stressed out over being in a 30 gallon tank. They need to be a tank that is at least 6 long, and those guys get big!

Please return him and get a fish more suitable to your size tank. A 6 line wrasse or goby would do much better in your tank. Here are couple of suggestions:
The Crazy Nastyass Honey Badger (original narration by Randall) from TubularGoldmine
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Diamond Watchman Sand Sifter Goby
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Starry Blenny
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Six Line Wrasse - Reef Safe Wrasses

Please research your fish before you buy them to make sure that they will live happily in your tank. Dont trust the lfs to give you the whole truth, do your own research and be an educated reefer.

Good catch Hannah, I didnt even see that. Seeing as how I have 4 tangs and I call myself the tang herder, I totally should have spotted that

LOL Hannah. The first link you posted! Hahahahahaha!!! I suspect you mis-copied and pasted. ;)

Anyways, sailfins do need much larger tanks. I'm afraid that even if you can get it eating, it won't last long in a 30 gallon.

You are doomed to failure with a sailfin in a 30 gallon tank. The small tank setting will lower the immune system thus hastening disease and parasites. I would return it or get a bigger tank. For them a 6 ft tank is needed.

Back