Salinity Shock

UnderwaterWorld

Reef enthusiast
Ok so I got a new clown, and he wasn't doing good the second day so I investigated, couldn't find anything really wrong with the water using my equipment, so I took him and the water to my lfs and he tested it with his refractometer or w/e and it turns out my hydrometer was way off, thus my clown is in salinity shock.

Is there anything I can do to help him and save him?

I'm slowly dropping the salinity.

How high was the salinity?
About all I know you could do is just let your fish try to fight through it.Slowly bring the salinity down a little bit at a time.
Thats the very reason I invested in refractometer early on.

just hoping for the best is about all you can do for right now.

how was the fish acclimated to your tank in the first place ?? i always do a slow drip acclimation over at least an hour.

if you acclimated it that long ... it should not be a serious case of salinity shock (if it even is). i would think that it might still be adjusting to the new tank. what exactly is it doing or not doing that you think is not normal ??

i just can't see a 45 minute acclimation causing a serious salinity shock. probably shock and stress combination. about all you can do is keep dropping the salinity and hope for the best. sorry to keep repeating the same bad news, i am just trying to make sure this is the problem. if i think of anything else i will post here tonight.

Hydrometers have a pretty bad reputation, they go bad. Buy a refractometer. It only costs around $40. Well worth it. I agree with the advice, bring the salinity of your tank down gradually, and hopefully he'll be okay.

Back