Salinity

Kwater

Chill
What is the most i should change salinity in a 24 hour period. Like can i go from 1.027 to 1.025 in like less than an hour. Can i change from 1.026 to 1.025 in like less then an hour. Just a little backround on the subject would be great. Thanx.

If you have fish/coral/LR in the tank, you shouldn't change salinity that quickly, as you could send the fish/coral/LR into shock. Personally, I would only pull it down from 1.027 to 1.026 and then wait the 24 hours before pulling it down again, but that is just me. Sending the fish/coral/LR into shock could have detrimental effect, including disease, added stress, or (for some) possibly even death.

I literally have no experience with salinity (or saltwater in general), except what I read on the forums. So I would imagine that (unless I'm right), you might have to wait until someone more knowledgeable comes along.

I wouldnt change it that quick if it was me.
To raise the salinity,its better to just top off with saltwater daily until until its in line.
To lower the salinity,siphon out a gallon of saltwater daily when you go to top off,then replace with all fresh water.
That way your not changing it quick and running the risk of placing your livestock into salinity shock.

Back