Sally Lightfoot

michelle

Reefing newb
I had a sally lightfoot crab that mysteriously appeared in my aquarium a few days after i got a large piece of live rock. I assume he came in on that. Anyway, as mysteriously as he showed up, he seems to be gone. There is a cave in one of my rocks that I thought he was hiding in, but, it has been a week with no sign of him. My rock is nowhere near the top of my tank, are they good at escaping tanks? If he did escape, could he live very long out of water? and would he venture very far from the tank? I have a young child, I would hate for him to happen upon a scared crab...I have looked through my house for him with no luck, but I guess he wouldnt stay out in the open.

If it did crawl out,it died.I don't think they will live long out of water.

Your not the one with the mantis where you?
If so,then there is your culprit.

I'm sure is wasn't the clownfish either.Could it of been the tube anemone?The only time the crab would be venerable is when they molt.

It would not have lived outside of the water. It may have died if your tank cycled. You are better off without it, they will catch and eat fish. I had two sally lightfoots that ate my firefish and sixline wrasse. They are not reef safe, in my opinion.

The tube anemone only went in the tank last night, the crab went missing a few days before that.
Well, if it shows up then fine-otherwise i'm not too broke up. I never planned to have one.
I was just wondering where it might have ended up. You'd be amazed (as I am sure all you parents know) what a 2 year old can find and deem worthy to eat:S

Biff is right, they are not a good addition to most tanks as they grow fast and will eventually become a predator to other fish.

Back