Saltwater tank lighting

I'm looking into buying the lighting for my 50 gallon tank and not too sure it will work or not. My tank is rectangular tall tank (31" tall) and I'm looking at using a Marineland reef capable led light (18-24). I'm just not sure it will be bright enough to penitrate all the way to the bottom of the tank. What do you guys think? If not what should I use? Thanks for the help

I highly doubt the marinland fixture will work on a tank that deep, i think you will need to go with a metal halide set up or one the of the more professional LEDs such as AI Sol or the EcoTech ones

Shallower tanks have had success with that fixture, but at 31 inches deep, your tank is going to be too deep to keep anything with that fixture in at least the bottom 8 inches of tank.

If you're looking at LED's you'd need one of the fixtures that using the 3W cree's (AI, EcoTech, DIY, etc)

Otherwise I would look at either a 6 bulb T5 fixture with individual reflectors or a Metal Halide setup for a tank that deep

I highly doubt the marinland fixture will work on a tank that deep, i think you will need to go with a metal halide set up or one the of the more professional LEDs such as AI Sol or the EcoTech ones

WOW!!!! Those brands are really exspensive. I really don't want to spend that much on a light. How about using 4 bulb T5 setup? Do you think that would work?

Shallower tanks have had success with that fixture, but at 31 inches deep, your tank is going to be too deep to keep anything with that fixture in at least the bottom 8 inches of tank.

If you're looking at LED's you'd need one of the fixtures that using the 3W cree's (AI, EcoTech, DIY, etc)

Otherwise I would look at either a 6 bulb T5 fixture with individual reflectors or a Metal Halide setup for a tank that deep

Sorry, but those LED brandS are way more then I'm wanting to spend on a light. You don't think a 4 bulb T5 setup would be enough? If I used metal halide lighting, how many would I need?

20" wide, and how deep?

T5s won't work on your tank then, you could probably get away with 1 MH if it's not too deep.

Sorry, but those LED brandS are way more then I'm wanting to spend on a light. You don't think a 4 bulb T5 setup would be enough? If I used metal halide lighting, how many would I need?

Quality LED fixtures are not cheap. The biggest investment in this hobby has always been the lighting - especially for those that want to keep corals

Unfortunately for you, you have a tall tank. If it was bought new, you should have opted for a standard footprint and not the tall. In saltwater, length is more important than depth

Quality LED fixtures are not cheap. The biggest investment in this hobby has always been the lighting - especially for those that want to keep corals

Unfortunately for you, you have a tall tank. If it was bought new, you should have opted for a standard footprint and not the tall. In saltwater, length is more important than depth

Well I needed that size for a curtain spot in my house. Well I guess I will keep it a fish only tank then. It's really not that big of a deal to me. I have another project I'm working on and will just make that one the full blown saltwater reef tank. So if I just do fish only I can use whatever light I want?

Back