Sand and live rock.

Jmarcus

Reefing newb
I am starting a thirty gallon reef tank. I was wondering, how deep the sand bed should be. and if I should add sand and live rock at the same time? I am planning on useing about 25 lbs base rock, and and about 30 lbs live rock, with a live sand substrate, The person at the LFS said that I should add the sand and all of the rock at the time. Is this the best way to go, are should you add smaller amounts over a period of time? Thanks Mark

Yup. I have two inches of sand and it is just about perfect. Go ahead and add it all at once.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

yup, go ahead and add it all at once. i have a 1 and a half inch sand bed and im planning on adding a little extra to make it around 2''.

i agree...adding al at once will help your tank to cycle quikly....just make shure is best of quality...and its been stored correctly..

As everyone else has said, I think it would be best to go ahead and add it all in at the same time. The only time you would add LR in little by little would be if your tank was already established. This would help to avoid starting another cycle. But since your tank is not established, and you are looking to start a cycle, defenitely add it all in buddy!

Thanks All. I understand a little more now. I was also wondering if it would be wise to to purchase sand/live rock online, and if so any recomendations on a good vender. My LFS's seem somewhat limited on there resourceses. At any rate it will be a couple of weeks before I will be ready to make that purchase just want the Best Bang for my Buck:Cheers:

Its really best to buy live rock locally so you can pick exact size/shape/color you like the best.With that being said,I too couldn't find decent looking rock locally.I bought my rocks here....Cured and Uncured live rock from Bali, Fiji, Tonga, & Uaniva.Saltwater aquarium supplies and equipment from Salty Critter
Uaniva and Tonga branch,there live rock was much better than what I could of gotten locally.They will pick out shapes/size if call and request for it.Another good place is Liveaquaria.com...The Lalo suppose to be really nice.As far as sand,I would skip online,if you want live try(Carib Sea Arag-Alive) or dry aragonite sand.

Last edited:
Here are my :twocents:...Buy your live rock where you can see them. You want to be able to smell them to make sure they are cured as well. You absolutly want to be able to choose what size and shape you want for your tank. Hopefully you have a design in mind for your rocks and corals. Use that design to determine what rocks you may need. Shipping tends to be brutal ($) and IMO it is worth the drive to another fish store to scope out rock. A last resort, for me at least, would be to order online. Good Luck.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

reeffreak said:
Its really best to buy live rock locally so you can pick exact size/shape/color you like the best.With that being said,I too couldn't find decent looking rock locally.I bought my rocks here....Cured and Uncured live rock from Bali, Fiji, Tonga, & Uaniva.Saltwater aquarium supplies and equipment from Salty Critter
Uaniva and Tonga branch,there live rock was much better than what I could of gotten locally.They will pick out shapes/size if call and request for it.Another good place is Liveaquaria.com...The Lalo suppose to be really nice.As far as sand,I would skip online,if you want live try(Carib Sea Arag-Alive) or dry aragonite sand.
wow..live rock at that site looks awsome.!!!..very nice..how much pound you order freak..ang charges???

They sell two versions of each rock.I have to say Rigo its some of the best rocks I've ever seen.
Uaniva cured is $6 per lb.,uncured is 3.75 per lb.Thats still cheaper the bland Fiji rock here locally which was 8 per lb.

I bought 50lbs cured Uaniva and 30lbs uncured Tonga branch.I don't remember the exact amount but it was $450+ including shipping.I think shipping was 40-50 alone.Oh an BTW,when you buy 50lbs you get 50lbs,not the rip off some vendors charge 50lbs(including packaging,weight of water and rocks).When I setup my 210 thats where I be getting some more rocks.

good deal..that rock is very nice....enjoy it freak....i found a place ..not so far from here called Puerto real....i was there the other day reefing...man some killer live rock...i tell you man awsome ...cant wait to have some extra bucks to set up a new tank...that rock is gonna be in my new tank for sure!!

Jmar
I hear that Cappichno(sp) bay is a good store.
Im not sure where its at down there,but I think its close to marietta.

Thanks Yote I will look them up, thats about 90 mins from me but could be worth the drive. Also how hard is it to cure uncured rock? Would a plastic container such as a new stoarge bin on the back pourch with a power head work? Salt water of course. Hope I don't ask to many basic questions, but I have an excuse. I'm a newbie! As always, thanks for sharing your knowledge. Mark:Cheers:

It's easy to cure it. A plastic container would be perfect. A powerhead is a must, as is a heater, unless you can keep the water at the correct temp. without one. Other than that, you should be all set. Good idea to do it on the back porch, curing rock STINKS.

Biff where you been....OH! nevermind I know:wink:

Ya curing live rock stinks usually.If its a new setup,I would cure it in the DT and skip the bucket deal.The smell not that bad,carbon will help.

Back