sand sifting crabs

lilduud

Reefing newb
soooooo how bad of an idea would it be to take some of these crabs from the beach in san diego and put them in one of my tanks... im positive they are the same exact crab and i can usually stick my hand into the sand and pull out three or four crabs at my beach house down in imperial beach... there are certain times of year that there are almost zero...but in warmer seasons you can scoop literally twenty or thirty babies in one handful...

Reefs2go.com Sand Sifting Crab

Last edited:
I was wondering the same thing....when we go to Cali we catch them all the time in the summer. They would be great at keeping the sand bed turned. Aren't most of them that we buy wild caught any way? I was thinking of getting like 4 of them or so...also...reefs2go.com is awesome. Check out my review in the vendor review forums, I don't think you can go wrong with them.

i did cottonwoon thats why i looked into them :)
i think i may do a little experiment either in my pico or a separate tank just to play... i may just toss a few in that pico though as the clown is still not in there and if i put him back...... i secretly wish hed die anyway hehehe

What clown do you have? I'm thinking of getting a black and white or a maroon clown...I think they look so cool. Let me know how it goes if you do do it...haha...do do...

If you secretly wish he would die...I could take him off your hands next time I'm in Cali, then you wont have to deal with him any more!

"The Black and White Ocellaris Clownfish, also known as the Black Perc, Black Percula Clown Anemonefish, or Black and White False Percula Clown and is normally found in association with anemones on the reefs of the Coral Sea."

Found that on Liveaquaria.com so I'm guessing its the same thing just different names for a black and white clown fish....?

Back