sand spitting clown?

greg1186

Reefing newb
is there a reason why my clown will get a mouthfull of sand and spit it out everywhere all over the tank.. and then hell get another mouthful and go on the sand bed and flap his tail so hard and stir up more sand while spitting out another mouth load

hes being really wierd.. kinda laying on his side for a second on the sand and flapping really hard and blowing sand everywhereeee

I did some reading on this and it most likely is territorial behavior. Does the clown do it near an anemone? From what I read, this is not negative behavior.

my male damsel will shake up sand and stuff when he is getting his spot rdy for his girlfrind to lay eggs, clowns are in same family as damsel's as far as I know. Maby same kind of thing, him trying to find himself a girlfriend?

Does it sleep in the spot where it is moving the sand from? I just got 2 clowns my first fish and they sit in a corner at night and move the sand all over with their tails and their bodys and then sleep there, it's pretty entertaining lol

That's normal behavior with clowns, he's cleaning his spot to rest...And if you had two, that could also mean they're cleaning a spot to lay eggs.

Normal. They're cleaning up.. Mine host a rock of mushrooms that lay on the sand, they are constantly moving the sand away using mouth and fins. I cant even put anything near their rock or the big female will go nuts. I've watched her ram a rock of zoas

Last edited:
i kinda want to get another clown so they could mate... is this hard to do once a clown has already been in the tank by himself?

Make sure you add a much smaller juvenile..... It will be more likely not to fight and succomb to the larger fishes demands.They probably wont get along at fist but after a while they will pair up (mine took a month) If they are the same size it is posible they will fight till the death.

my clown now is about two inches... on this same forum site... i got the exact opposite advice.. i was told to add a bigger clown so the existing clown does not bully a smaller one

the problem with that is the sexing if the clown you have now has already started its sex change and you get anouther girl clown there is no going back for them they will continue to fight. if you get a small clown thats most likely a boy and yours is still a boy the bigger of the 2 will turn into a girl. there might be some fighting at first for teratory but its your best bet for getting a pair of clowns

Last edited:
Pwny is right on.. If your clown is already 2" it could already be changing. Do not get a bigger one!!!! There is a good chance you'll end up with 2 females and you dont want that.. Trust me on this..

my clown now is about two inches... on this same forum site... i got the exact opposite advice.. i was told to add a bigger clown so the existing clown does not bully a smaller one

It doesn't matter as long as one is bigger than the other. If you have a very small clown, add a big one. If you have a big clown, add a small one.

Just make sure you get the same type of clown.

There's also no guarantee if they pair up they will lay eggs. Mine have been paired for almost a year and a half. They've never laid eggs.

Back