Sea Hare

AdeptMrSniffles

I have a Blue Thumb
So I swung into the LFS here in town to see if they had received any new corals. I like to look at eye candy. Anyways, I bought a Sea Hare for $25. Once I got home I hoped online to see how much I was suckered by.... Saltwaterfish.com has them for $9.99 :frustrat::frustrat:. I just can't help it!!! I see it and WANT IT! However, I figure shipping would get me near $25 anyways. BUT on the bright side the Sea Hare, who I've appropriately named "Dirt Bag" is kicking some SERIOUS hair algae ass. My GF laughs everytime little pellets fall out of his behind. Just thought I'd post to let anyone who is fighting the good fight against hair algae that these guys kick ass, so far.

I'll post some pics tom.

Sea hares are by far the best animals I've found to control algae. They eat EVERYTHING! They do run out of food pretty quickly though, so make sure you're able to bring him back to the store, or give him to a friend that has a green tank when he's done with yours.

My two sea hares were named Jessica I and Jessica II. Like the rabbit ;)

Ya, this guy is def. destroying any/all algae right now. But he's still got A LOT of work to do!! I'd like to hold on to the guy though, I'd hate to see him go back. Can't I just supplement his diet with some herbivore food or algae stips? I figure if I can hold onto him I'll never have any hair algae problem. I'd def. hand Dirt Bag over to any of my friends.... IF they had a saltwater aquarium. Unfortunately my friends find marijuana more important than, well... anything. Not saying it's the devil, but there's far greater things to spend your $$$ on in my opinion.

Last edited:
I don't know much but in my short time owning my aquarium, I have gained some Sea Hare experience. They do clean up the tank pretty nice; in fact, my cleaning crew for a while was just a fuzzy hermit and a sea hair ("Bob the Blob"). The crew worked so well together that one of my hermit's favorite snacks was those "turtle pellets :pooh:" that popped out the back of Bob :shock:. However, as many people have mentioned, the sea hare worked a little too well and he started to run out of food. Instead of just buying sea weed strips that I would have to constantly worry about feeding him, I bought this "sea grass" stuff (don't know the actual name of it) figuring that he could munch on it as he needed it, plus it added some color to my tank (no corals yet...too new) and could possibly keep growing. At first, my Tang seemed to like the stuff better than the sea hare, but after a couple of weeks, when he finally tried some for himself, Bob and the grass (not the weed...the grass) were inseparable (spell check?!?). Within another couple of weeks, algae started to come back, so i had to get some turbo snails because Bob didn't want to leave his grass, and then just a few days ago, I come home to find this shriveled up 1-inch long greenish black think laying in my sand. Still was plenty of grass left, hermit never paid him any mind, so I didn't think he was attacked...didn't know what it was. Asked the guys at my LFS and they told me that he probably ate himself to death :frustrat:

So long story short: "you're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't". Oh, and the moral of the story: "Addiction to grass leads to death" pass it along to your friends, haha. Actually on top everything, that grass stuff really made a mess of my tank, getting stuck in my blower and filter pipes :grumble:.

Was it caulerpa prolifera?

No it was this stuff:

Saltwater Aquarium Algae for Marine Reef Aquariums: Chaetomorpha Algae - Aquacultured

"Chaetomorpha Algae, also known as Spaghetti Algae or Green Hair Algae, is an excellent macro algae for refugiums. Each cell grows end to end, creating long, stiff strands. It grows in filamentous clumps, resembling a ball of fishing line. This algae is fast growing and is not palatable to many herbivorous species.

Chaetomorpha Algae removes both phosphates and nitrates from the water. To increase the amount of nutrients this algae exports, use moderate to high lighting and keep it in an area of high water flow. It should ideally be tumbled in an algae filter."

Might not be palatable to a lot of herbivores, but my tang ate it and then his :pooh: came out in two inch strands...HUMOR!...plus the sea hare loved it too, I just don't know what I could have done to keep him from eating too much of it aside from actually taking it out of the tank. Also, like I said earlier...it made of a mess of my tank, getting stuck in my filter and blower; then, when I went to clean it out, there would be tiny pieces floating all over my take that I couldn't get out....LAME!:frustrat:

The only downside I've noticed about Dirt Bag, the Sea Hare, is that he tends t hangout in one area. So occasionally I'll pick him up and put him near some heavy infested area of hair algae. Other than that I'll see him snoozing, or what i think is snoozing, in the morning before work and see him devouring stuff when I come home for lunch and the rest of the day.

Back