Securing a toadstool

earman88

Reefing newb
I just bought a toadstool that came on a 3"x3" rock plate. So I razor bladed him off, thinking I could cram him into a rock crevice. Idk what I was thinking because he squeezed his way out in about an hour.

I tried gluing him to a smaller rock (out of the aquarium, a dry rock) with some epoxy. This worked but over night he came off of it.

Does anyone have a better idea to secure this dude down? It's tough to get glue to grip him since coral are made of seemiingly 95% water. I'm sure with enough super glue gel I can hold him down. But before I do that I wanted to see if anyone else had better ideas. :D

I have read that a lightly rubber banding them to the rock will work.
Also threading some fishing line on a needle and using that to sew him onto the rock. Then after a few days, he will attach and you can remove the fishing line or rubber band.

I haven't tried either of these methods so no personal experience.

Also threading some fishing line on a needle and using that to sew him onto the rock. Then after a few days, he will attach and you can remove the fishing line or rubber band.

I haven't tried either of these methods so no personal experience.

I forgot about the thread+needle method! I will do that tonight.

Thanks a lot!

Over a month ago I used the rubberband trick on a toadstool frag. Worked like a charm.

I thought about this, but I was afraid of putting a weird crease in the top of the toadstool. I thought it would be harmful to it as well.

Sometimes I care too much about my tank inhabitants lol.. I'm afraid of ever moving things around or disturbing the peace.

a plastic toothpick through the base...then rubber band the toothpick to a piece of LR---wait until its attached then remove rubberband and toothpick---only use plastic toothpick not wood

a plastic toothpick through the base...then rubber band the toothpick to a piece of LR---wait until its attached then remove rubberband and toothpick---only use plastic toothpick not wood

That's a great idea too.

I just used the rubberband method. I think I put too much tension on the toadstool, it's almost splitting in half now.

Maybe I'll just take the other half back to my LFS for store credit, lol.

Back