Seeding Live Rock

Keaton

Reefing newb
Hey gang,
I'm really new to this and I'm doing my research and I'm at the point where i need to get some live rock going. As far as i know my water conditions are ideal but I've hit a roadbump. Live rock for a tank my size is expensive lol. I have a 75g tank and was planning on at least 1lb. per gallon which puts me at roughly $400 total. I have been reading about getting dead rock and "seeding" it for the obvious cost benefits. Is it worth it or should I just make my local pet shop a bit happier this week?? ANY information on this would be most helpful especially a website with some clear instructions as I'm very new and very confused lol. (i.e. best type of "dead" rock to use, best lighting, cured to uncured rock ratios for best results, etc.) Thanks:)

i would go and pay the extra money it easyer and less time comsuming. sounds like u have enough rock,but u mite need more depending on the rock some is more dence and this cost more

To seed dead rock, all you need to do is put one peice of live rock in with the dead rock. It will take a long time but it will eventually seed. The more live rock you have, the faster the tank will cycle and the dead rock will seed. If you get live rock shipped, even if you buy it cured, you will have to re-cure it since there will be some die off during shipping.

Check out the helpfull article section of the forum. There is a vast wealth of knowledge here. And plenty of reading to help you through the slow time of setting up the tank. Just one word of advice, go slow at the beggining and dont get frustrated either.

Brian

Last edited:
Brian gave great advice.It really only takes one piece of live rock to seed the base.The more live will speed up the maturity of a system.

I heard great things about Marco rocks at other sites.The dry rocks start around a $1 a pound.You can go mostly with the dry and seed with around 10lbs of good quality live rock.The rocks are dry,no tax and shipping should be cheap since it doesn't need to be shipped next day/2-day services.

Marco Rocks The finest aquarium rock available, base rock, live rock, reef rock, marco rock, reef tank saltwater fish, live corals, Marco rocks, Fiji live rock, Tonga Live rock

Thanks for the info guys!! If I were to decide to seed my tank i could do it in my aquarium as apposed to in a trash can because it hasn't been cycled yet. Is that correct?

Keaton, you may want to check Craigslist in your area or the newspaper. Many times people are getting out of the hobby and breaking down their tanks. This is a good way to find LR really cheap! I saw some locally, about 50 lbs, for 150.00. You should give it a try.

I would seed your rock, Macro Rocks has some great rock, check it out! Then just buy some live rock from your LFS or something. Macro rocks recommends 1 lbs per gallon because they weight it dry so it will equal about 1.5 lbs per gallon wet!

hey guys i have heard alot of good things about the tampa bay live rock comes with alot of extras i think the last time i looked it was bout 4 bucks a pound check it out

Nice thanks for all the input! I think I will go for the seeding project since i can do it in my tank. I also think I'll go with the sundial 4x54 T5, I like the options it has. Has anyone heard anything about this perticular lighting rig? I like the novas but this is almost comparable in price and has more options imo.

Hahaha. Just something funny. Everyone used to call UnderWaterWorld UWW for short. But now he's become Undy. I'm not sure if that's an improvement. Hahaha!

Back