Selecting Clown Fish

Gooseman

Reefing Is An Obsession
Hello, I have a 120G tank with 140lbs of Kaelini/Lalo live rock. I have gone through the conditioning period and am ready for fish. My wife wants me to get a nemo clown & i want a maroon/yellow clown. I know they are not the best of tank mates but was wondering if i could have both in my size tank. Thanks for the info/experience anyone has on this!

First off,Welcome to the reef.
Some folks have been able to keep different types of clowns with no problems.But they are few and far between.I personally wouldnt risk it.

Welcome to the site.

I tried two different species(maroon and clark) in my 210g.It didn't work out,the clarks killed the maroons.It can be done,but its very risky.

I have a ocel and perc in my tank, the are the best of buds, but they are pretty mellow compared to the maroon clowns..

Welcome to the forum.

if you do try, add them both at the same time. try and find a ocellaris (nemo) that is as big as possible and find the most tiny maroon clown you can find. clowns of the same size tend to fight. FYI maroon clowns are the MOST aggressive of clownfish. I have one in my 90 that consistently holds his own againsy a much bigger triggerfish

-Doc

First off i want to thank everyone for the warm welcome! I am glad that there is a place to go for answers from people with experience. I guess the general consensus is don't try it. That's a bummer. Thanks to everyone for their help it is greatly appreciated!

I have 2 Ocellaris and i've always wanted to add another kind of clowns, but i feel my tank would be too small (46G).
Now, my friend has a 175G Bow and he's got 2 Tomato clownfish and a Maroon clown, they are both on opposite sides of the tank and never bother each other, but when he added another maroon clown to the tank, within 5 minutes, the other maroon had killed the new one...so it can be done, i guess it all depends on which kinds you have. I would think that since ocellaris never tend to bother anyone, you could get away having them with a maroon and nothing happen, also because their colors aren't too similar, but i guess also that with fish, you never know...
Goodluck!

Back