Setting my rock

Ange

Reefing newb
When I brought home the tank I bought through Craig's List, it already had sand in the bottom of the tank. As I set the tank back up, I just put the rock back on top of the sand. I read that it is better to set the rock on the glass of the tank and then put the sand in. Since I need to clean some dead algae off of some of the rock, would it be OK to move the sand around and replace the rock on the glass, then settle the sand back in place. Of course, any of this has to be done around the urchin, since he and my hands don't get along.

I think it would be a good idea to do it now, rather than later on when you have a lot of animals. Putting the rock on top of the sand could cause a rock slide down the road, and you don't want to deal with that!

Cool, I know what I'm doing tomorrow. I got my hydrometer today and my tank is actually a little low. Good time to try to bring that up with some fresh water when I clean the stuff off. The fish are still fine in the QT tank, the trigger ate Mysis shrimp from the tongs this evening.

Some guy on 3reef had a 70 or 80G and put the rock in 'real carefully' and then at about 3am an avalanche occurred and broke the glass. The tsunami in his living room destroyed TV, carpets, wood furniture, the tank and fish were destroyed. Put the rock on the bottom --stable-- then add sand.

Holy schmoly! I will ABSOLUTELY be making some changes today! I don't really have my rock stacked right now, just placed around the bottom of the tank. But I wast certainly thinking about stacking some of it. Wow, those photos are unbelieveable.

Before you start.Mix up enough new water for a good water change.
As you put the rock back in the tank,just kinda twist them around to work them down into the sand.That way your not disturbing too much crud.
OH,And we'll require pics of the new aquascaping.:D

In the midst of the rock cleaning and reorganization. I found a couple of rocks with a stringy thing hanging off the bottom with grains of sand stuck to them. Any ideas? Also, several of the rocks have these white spots on the bottom. Again, any ideas? And there are these white things that look like plant roots on the bottoms of the rocks. Hopefully they are good. Right now I have as much sand as I can get to pulled to the front of the tank and am waiting on the water to clear up to get the last two rocks out to clean. Those are the ones that the urchin is hiding behind and I MUCH prefer to be able to see Spike when I grab those rocks..

Back