setting up a new 90 gal soon need some advice

imdaring

love my reef
OK well we are going to be moving into our new house in about 2 months and hubby is going to be building the new tank stand and tank room, my current set up is a 55gal tank with a 10 gal sump, (2) # 3 koralia's (1) #2 Koralia, upgrading to a 90 gal tank with a 55gal sump and a 40 gal frag tank that will all be plumbed together, same Koralias as b/4, aquamedic 1000 skimmer, lighting is (2) 250wt 20K MH, with (4) 54wt actinic.. and lunur lights
Plus I will be adding more Live Rock

My questions are :question:

1) I have brown algae on my sand bed should I use any of that sand or should I just replace it??

2) can I use a HOB water filter and not have the sump hooked up to keep the water moving and filtering, I don't have any pumps to put in the new tank because they are being used in the old tank till we move

1) I have brown algae on my sand bed should I use any of that sand or should I just replace it??

2) can I use a HOB water filter and not have the sump hooked up to keep the water moving and filtering, I don't have any pumps to put in the new tank because they are being used in the old tank till we move

1) I would use the same sand. Wouldnt worry much about the algae as it will probably die off when you transfer the stuff to the new tank. You are adding alot more water so i dont think the algae will survive. however, expect to get new algae a couple of weeks after the tank is running.

2) what kind of filter are you talking about? I would setup the sump and put a skimmer in it. a HOB filter probably doesnt provide a lot of water movement in the first place. Are you not going to use the same water? Or maybe im misunderstanding your question and you;re planning on adding all new water to the new tank...

1) like the this one I have a double one I also have some old power heads that I can place in it
lg_25879_21945D.jpg

2) Yes I will be using as much of my water as possible I was going to add new Ro/DI to the new tank and run that with out the sump and when we are ready to move the fish in then I would add the water from the 55 into my 55 gal sump and start that up as well I don't have any pumps to run the new tank till we are ready to move the fish becasue they are all in mt current tank ... my plan was to have the new tank partly set up with water in it so that it could cycle or should I just skip that and just set it up and then move the fish and coral right in??

1) I would use the same sand. Wouldnt worry much about the algae as it will probably die off when you transfer the stuff to the new tank. You are adding alot more water so i dont think the algae will survive. however, expect to get new algae a couple of weeks after the tank is running.

2) what kind of filter are you talking about? I would setup the sump and put a skimmer in it. a HOB filter probably doesnt provide a lot of water movement in the first place. Are you not going to use the same water? Or maybe im misunderstanding your question and you;re planning on adding all new water to the new tank...

I see no problem to temporarily use either one of those until you can switch over your sump. Just keep it clean. I would use some power heads too.

cool I was hoping that I wouln't have to get more pumps... Do you know about this the new tank is drilled should I just keep it below the water leverl or can I plug the drain some how??

I see no problem to temporarily use either one of those until you can switch over your sump. Just keep it clean. I would use some power heads too.

Back