Setting up a temporary tank

UnderwaterWorld

Reef enthusiast
So this weekend is the fragfest and I know there will be tons of stuff there that I want for great prices. I am going to be moving my current 34 gallon soon, within two weeks and I am planning on starting up another tank within a month or so.

I was wondering if it is possible to set up a small tank, 12 gallons to be exact, in a week, skip the cycle, and have it hold my frags for a month or so. I have 2 40 watt Nova Extreme T-5 fixtures for it.

Thanks,
Matt

what else would I need to do? I basically need to skip the cycle don't I? Should I just take some live rock out of my current 34 g tank and buy a little more from the LFS? Get live sand from an established tank or buy it?

You just want it for a frag tank and no other livestock? Why not got barebottom and just put some eggcrate in it and use water from the 34 gal? That should work I think.

Oh please wait for more to agree! I would hate to be soley responsible for screwing up someones tank!

You just want it for a frag tank and no other livestock? Why not got barebottom and just put some eggcrate in it and use water from the 34 gal? That should work I think.

I agree since it's only for frags.I would still use a sponge like Kimoy said soaked in your main display for a week.Nothing wrong being safe than sorry.

If you have corals only in it, it's not as critical for it to cycle, since corals do not produce the amount of waste like fish do.

I have frequently used just a sponge filter that has been run in another tanks sump for a week or so. I do use a small Maxi-Jet power head to draw water through the filter rather than just soaking it though. I usually do this when I anticipate getting new stock that needs to be quarantined. I, however, would definitely not feed the corals while they were in the temporary tank with just a sponge filter.

Back