Setting up my NEW 28 Gallon NanoCube -CF!!!!

DAvis

Reefer Madness
Hi All!
I've taken the plunge. I was going to buy better lighting and filtration for some of my extra tanks to set up a marine tank, until I realized that I could get a really nice cube, with all the bells and whistles for a few dollars more! So, out with the old, in with the new!

This tank offers 105W compact fluorescent, which gives roughly 4 watts/gallon.

I plan on filling with all aquacultured and tank raised inhabitants. So first item is the proper salt mix. I do want to do a reef tank. I understand there are limitations to what I can do with this lighting. Do I start with a reef mix or just regular mix when cycling the tank with live rock/live sand? Is there a preference to the mixes out there?

Might as well start at the beginning!
Thanks!
DAvis

There is a lot of variety when it comes to salt mixes. But in reality it doesn't matter which on you use. If your not going to have corals then I would just get one of the regular ones, not the reef mix.

If you ask 100 different people about the salt to use,you'll likely get 100 different answers.
But heres my opinion on the matter.
Theres not such critter as THE perfect salt.One brand will be high in one area and low in another.The vice versa with the next brand.
Myself,I perfer either Oceanic or SeaChem Reef.And I'm in the process of trying the Brightwell Aquatics Neo Marine Reef salt,first impressions says I'm probably gonna switch to it completely.

I switch around between three salts: Oceanic, Kent Marine and SeaChem. All of them are pretty good, IMO, and I usually buy whatever is on sale at the time.

Thanks guys! I appreciate all your input. I know you have answered that question a hundred times here. I've been reading a lot, and I'm coming up with a plan. When I have all the pieces, I'll ask tons more questions! Thanks again,
d

Back