Sexy shrimp breeding??

cms722

Reefing newb
Ok, I know its really hard to do and I haven't heard of anyone having too much success breeding sexy shrimp. But I've had two for a while and they were both the same size when I got them and now I look in my tank and one of them looks like its not only doubled in size but its really round around its midsection. I have no idea how inverts breed/lay eggs and everything, but is it possible that they could be trying to breed? I know its kind of a dumb question but I had to ask! Lol.

Shrimp only breed after they molt. The larger one sounds like it might female, so you might have a male/female pair. Mine do breed, but i really only know by the loss of eggs on the female. I did once catch them releasing the larva, it was pretty cool. But i think these guys are very hard to breed in captivity, catching the larva is even harder, and feeding/raising the larva most difficult yet.

Yea I figured it would be hard, if not impossible. I was just curious. Maybe one day if I'm really dedicated....LOL

Is there a way to tell if they are male or female?

The females tend to have a few extra "shields" to guard the eggs, they also tend to be larger and plumper. But the only real way to tell is to see the eggs. If they are carrying eggs, you will see them kinda bend in half and "fluff" their eggs.

OMG!!! I happened to be awake and she came out. I saw all these lil things sticking out of the back of her, almost looked like what the brown hairy diatomes I'd had a while back only smaller. Lol. Anyways. I'm looking at her and then all of a sudden she shoots like a hundred lil larvae into the water!! It was so cool. Obviously my fish had a nice late night snack but it is so neat to see something like that happen. Especially since I have only been in this hobby for a few months. I guess its safe to say I have a breeding male/female pair. Lmao.

Yea, I was pretty excited. I've been reading online about them. I found a website where it looks like the person has had some success in breeding and raising the shrimp. Maybe I'll try it for the fun of it at a later date. Its always an experience.

Back