Should deconstruct my live rock to look for a dead fish?

Cliff

Reefing newb
A question for you guys that have started up new systems. After allowing 5 weeks for my system to cycle, I purchased 2 chromis on Sunday as the first livestock in my tank. One never reappeared after release, the other is doing great, eating and swimming in the current. Should I start digging through a 100 lb live rock structure and look for the likely dead fish, or do you think the system can absorb the shock of a dead fish. It is worth noting this rock was purchased on craigslist and has been part of a system housing fish for 10+ years. No ammonia or nitrite, nitrates at 25ppm.

Nitrates could have got him, but at one time mine got up to 80. Someone overfeeding while were on vacation and all m fish were fine. You could do a water change. I'll let someone else chime in, with way more experience than I.

I personally would not tear apart a 90 to find 1 fish. Just keep a close eye on parameters and have emergency water temp ready, aerated, mixed at least 24 hours, pH buffered and ready to go. I always have some ready to go.

I wouldn't tear the tank up looking for a small chromis... and if you have a good cuc, then they've already taken care of the body.

It's only been a few days, I wouldn't even be certain that its dead yet. I had a fish hitchhiker in my tank for 6 months before I even knew he was in the tank. I've left fish that died in my tank before that I couldn't find, with a proper cuc you should't have any issues. Just maybe a small spike in your nitrates.

+1 everyone....25ppm of nitrates?? Pshaw! Mine have survived through 160ppm for months before ;) I believe Bifferwine even had her fish living in her old neglected tank with nitrates up to 200ppm or something ridiculously high. It's not good long term, I'm sure, but it's mainly the inverts and corals that cannot tolerate nitrates at all.

Oh and how did you acclimate them? Drip acclimation is the best method. But in the end, new fish die. It happens. You might never know what happened to him. FYI, when I first got my chromis 2 or 3 years ago, 1 went missing in the first week...it was gone for a week. Found him in the sump. I still have him!

I just put 2 chromis in my setup the other day too. Both ended up dying 2 days later. All my levels were good too. I took the one dead one out nd noticed the other one to late. My peppermint shrimp was having a field day on him.

Chromis are not very hardy in my experience. Over the last several years in an attempt to have a small school I have probably put 15 in my tank and only 3 have lived more than a week.

You should have starfish, snails and crabs and they will take care of dead bodies never tear apart you rocks it could smoosh something else or cause an ammonia spike

I have 2 clowns and originally 2 chromis. One of the chromis wedged himself in a hole and died. He was a pita to get out. So my wife wanted 2 more to have 3 total. Well one more died a week later. I looked for body but never did find and was not about to tear apart tank for a small fish. So let the cuc take care of him. You might want to get some crabs or shrimp to help with these issues in future. If it were a large fish like a Tang or something then I would have tore apart tank to find him

Just my 2¢

Chip

Turns out the advice here was right on. The only indication I ever saw of the dead fish was scales in the filter sock. Thanks for the advice folks.

i would not move your rock mate you sure its dead anyway have a good look round when lights go off but if it is dead in tank bet crabs n snails would of seen it off by now mate
all the best shaun

I just put 2 chromis in my setup the other day too. Both ended up dying 2 days later. All my levels were good too. I took the one dead one out nd noticed the other one to late. My peppermint shrimp was having a field day on him.

That's consistent with my experience with Chromis too. Started with 7 and now down to 1. They don't seem to be very hardy...

Back