Should I run my Phosban Reactor?

R3verb

Time to add some coral!
So I have a Phosban reactor and a MJ1200 but it's not hooked up. I don't have a phosphate test kit (I know, I know, I'm getting one, calm down) so I was wondering if it would be a bad idea to run the phosban reactor since I can't test for what it is doing. What do you all think?

Casey

Phosphate tests have a tendency to be inaccurate... not because the test itself is inaccurate, but because algae tends to suck the phosphate out of the water before it can be read.

Running it with GFO wouldn't hurt anything other than your wallet if there isnt a phosphate issue in your tank.

Alternatively, you could retrofit the reactor for running biopellets - this wont control phosphates as well as dedicated GFO, but it will also control nitrates

I would start it up. It's not going to hurt anything, it will just help keep ahead of any phosphates if you have any.

now what about running carbon. It a 2 little fishies phosban 150 and I have heard of people running carbon in them. Is that just going to make my water clear and reduce odor? I have a protein skimmer that is rated for a 225 (i have a 90) and so I had an algae issue in it before I got the skimmer but now It's all dying off. I just hate having extra equipment laying around not helping my tank.

Back