Show me your BLACK/B&W Substrate

fastrd400

It wasn't me!
I am going to be changing out my substrate and am thinking of black sand, or a mix of black and white. I am not going to commit until I can see some actual pics of peoples tanks with this substrate in it . Also any pro/cons you may have for the sand you are using would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_3683.jpg

awe. but if it makes you feel better, that tank pic is inspiring me to do a ric tank with my ten gallon that is just laying around.
and the black sand bed looks great

Sliiightly off topic, but what are rics? and even pods that ive been hearing about on here?
rics = Ricordeas, a type of coral. If you look at the pic of Biffs tank in this thread, all the corals in it are rics.
Pods are a type of creature that lives in our tanks that provide a live food source for our fish.

ohhh k thanks, I have a refugem and all the live rock but the tank is still young. This is all good to know :)

If your tank has finished cycling, then it's a good time to add the pods, even if you have no fish. The earlier you add them the more time they'll have to reproduce, especially if you have no fish.

Also, dcan, did you ever have any issues with a rust colored algae growth on your sand? I read on another forum that there were issues with the Tahitian moon sand having metal particles in it that caused problems in tanks.

Back