shrinking leathers

I couldn't imagine changing PC bulbs would cause those corals to bleach but there it is.At least that what it look like to my eyes.Can you see brown in the tissue?I would put some window screen or window tint to cut back on the light intensity.

The torch and frogspawn looks nice,btw.

yeah. it spread over three rocks and was doing SOOO good, but then....BAM, bleached out and how I fear that it will die. I will be SOOOO pissed. Sounds like there is a general agreement that bleaching is what is happening.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

I feel your pain,mine was getting huge before she died.I do have the say that the first one pictured looks more Sinularia than the second but its hard to tell without the polyps extended.

Two enemies of soft corals are the Rapa snail - in the family of coralliophildae and a nudibranch (Dendronotus sp. Both are active at night and the nudi is white. Both have the ability to bore into the soft coral and devour from within.
Soft corals have no protection and should be positioned a reasonable distance from all stinging corals, less they be intimidated into closing down permanently until they die if not moved to a proper location with brisk water movement (not leanear) The less soft corals are moved the better. they typically do not like to be messed with. put them in they spot and leave alone. Soft corals reproduce by budding off at the base and in some cases they just fall completely apart. pieces of the main stock quickly re establishes it self and the pieces also at different locations. oh, and large bristleworms have been reported to feed on soft corals. A check should be made after lights out and any small snails or white nudibranchs found on or near the corals should be removed. typically soft corals do well with bright lighting although not needed. good luck hope something here helps.

I have noticed a nudibranch, but I thought it was a lettuce nudibranch, which I think are harmless algae eaters. If it is not, I will kill the little bugger. I may even have a pic

lettucenudibranch.jpg

sorry about the quality.

I will search out for little boring snails as well. Both softies have small polyp extensions, if there were stressed from being eaten, would they still have polyps? Would that explain the bleaching that is happening as well?

-Dr Marco :sfish::sfish:

Nudis turn whatever color the food is they are eating. Lettuce leaf nudis only eat bryopsis. Most of them starve to death eventually. I'm guessing yours is white because it doesn't have any bryopsis to eat. But it sure looks like a lettuce leaf nudi to me.

Back