Skimmer problem

Brianw1970

Reefing newb
How long does it take for a skimmer to produce skimmate? I have the Coralife Super Skimmer Venturi Wheel - up to 220 Gallon and I am not sure it is working right. I have it in the sump and when i turn up the dial water comes shooting out of the top. Is this normal? What should I do?

A) How long have you had it? It often takes new skimmers at least a week to break in and start working.

B) Do you use any sort of tap water conditioner/dechlorinator/slime coat additive? Those will prevent most skimmers from working properly.

I have that skimmer. Im sorry for you. First it takes days to work this thing in. Plus you must use minute changes in that stupid dial otherwise it shoots skim everywhere. Keep playing with the dial until the micro bubbles are about halfway up the throat of the skimmer. You wont see foam activly going into the cup but it will build up there over time.

Its only been on for 3 days. I got rid of my bio balls to use the skimmer instead. I use RO/DI water. Guess I have to be patient and see what happens next week with the skimmer.

oh if your tank has only been up 3 days you wont make much skim at all. It is very aggravating getting this stupid skimmer set right though.

Hey VA I know it is a cheap one but it was free so I said I would try it out. I did set the dial like you said. I will most likely get a different model when I put toether my new sump. Any advice on a good skimmer?

I've heard the octopus is really good Im still stuck with the coralife atm so can only offer regrets LOL

People say the Reef Octopus Skimmers are great. I have an Eshopps that puts out nasty skimmate every two days. Works really well IMO

The Coralife skimmers aren't bad, they are just very difficult to adjust and find their "sweet spot" where they'll work properly.

If you are going to buy a new skimmer, I'd recommend an Octopus.

Back