Skimmer, reactor, top-off

Nuube

Reefing newb
I'm setting up my first FOWLR 90g tank with sump in basement and I have some questions I'd like help with please.

1. Can I place a calcium reactor ( for carbon) in the same section that will hold my protien skimmer? AND does the discharge of the reactor need to be outside of that compartment?
2. Can I install an automatic top-off in my "return water" section? or does it need to be baffled? I will have a fuge on one end of my 55G sump and the protien skimmer section on the other end. Both will flow to the middle "return water" section. Thanks

You need to set the float valve in the return section of your sump. That is where you will see the water lost from evaporation.

As for the first question, I dont run a reactor so I wouldnt know

Your skimmer and reactor can be in the same compartment, and the output does not have to be in a different compartment. It's fine if it's in the same.

The ATO must be installed in the same section as your return pump. This is the only section that will ever experience the water dropping.

Thanks guys for the answers. I didn't explain why I was asking about the ATO in the return section. I was wondering if there would be turbulance that would effect the ATO, hence a baffle of some sort to isolate it from the turbulance. I was thinking maybe of a perforated PVC baffle. Yes, No, Not Needed? Thanks again

Back