Skimz SK 181 Kone E Skimmer

BL1

I thought I'd write up a review of this great skimmer since I had never heard of the brand before and thanks to a lucky deal I came across one for a steal.

This skimmer retails for $399.95 at online retailers. At first look it's a very compact skimmer for it's rating. 8.4"x8.4"x21.4" and can handle 53-198 gallons. The pump provided uses only 12w. The skimmer body is warrantied for two years due to defective material and poor workmanship and a one year warranty on the pump.

After opening the box I pulled out the parts and the first thing I noticed was how well built all the components are. All of the joints where the acrylic meets are all clean and well bonded. The instructions that come with it are more descriptive with better pictures than any skimmer I've seen to date.

-4.jpg

Assembling the skimmer only took a few minutes thanks to the instruction booklet. Once it's all together it feels very solid.

-5.jpg

A feature that I like and think is very innovative is the base of the skimmer is the water return so it reduces the footprint considerably. It controlled by an adjustable gate valve to control the water level in the cone.

-8.jpg

The instructions state to run the skimmer for a day with the gate valve wide open to break in the skimmer. Well, after about 20 hours I started adjusting the valve. And only 21 hours in here are the results so far.

-18.jpg

Here's a shot of the skimmer as it sits in my sump. I'll update this review as needed.

-12.jpg

alright, well im gonna check if something like this will fit in my tank :D I just have a HoB filter, a good one, but nothing that is as good as I would like.

alright, well im gonna check if something like this will fit in my tank :D I just have a HoB filter, a good one, but nothing that is as good as I would like.

What size area do you have to fit a skimmer?

You have plenty of good choices for your tank then. This ones only 8.4x8.4 so it'd definitely fit.

515 dollars here, very tempting, would reduce splashback and noise and also work more efficiently than my other skimmer.

So, it's been up and running for a week now and I'm still very impressed. It's been skimming very dry for the past week to break in. As you can see it's been pulling out a lot of crap. I need to clean out the cone though because the pump pulled up a lot of algae that got stuck on the walls. And I think it's causing the bubbles to break prematurely and not make it to the collection cup as well.

skimmercup.jpg

Back