Smitty's Reef

Smitty this is a really cool tank. There's something intriguing about the cube tanks. Of course, those purple rocks always look good too! Is that a gorgonian in the front?

Smitty this is a really cool tank. There's something intriguing about the cube tanks. Of course, those purple rocks always look good too! Is that a gorgonian in the front?

Thank you so much...I appreciate the encouragement. Yep, that's a sea whip in the front, in the gorgonian family.

Yep...I have two hammers. They were both very small frags when I got them. About the size of a thumb nail. The one towards the front has grown super fast in a matter of months.

Smitty,

I came to this forum looking for ideas on gathering information with regards to starting a reef aquarium after years of freshwater. However, I ended up reading this entire thread today (as well as the thread pertaining to the "incident"). It must take an insane amount of restraint and fortitude to take the high road as you did. I am glad to see your actions manifested as the sheer awesomeness of your 29/39 display. It is good to see that you have found a lady friend that appreciates your hobby/addiction. You truly are an inspiration to me on multiple fronts.

I hope your boys (and your tank) are well,

- Christopher

Thanks, man. How does your new(ish) setup do with the variable Chicago weather? I am also from the area and my cichlid tank (last tank) got toasted during a heat wave a couple of years ago when I was away at college. I would also like to inquire where you learned the base for you salt water mastery? I am assuming books and trial and error, but I would love to hear your input. I have been away from keeping for a few years and am looking to dive into salt, but have no idea what I am doing!!!

Thanks, man. How does your new(ish) setup do with the variable Chicago weather? I am also from the area and my cichlid tank (last tank) got toasted during a heat wave a couple of years ago when I was away at college. I would also like to inquire where you learned the base for you salt water mastery? I am assuming books and trial and error, but I would love to hear your input. I have been away from keeping for a few years and am looking to dive into salt, but have no idea what I am doing!!!

During the summer months, I run the ac all day to keep the temp stable. And the winter months aren't an issue. I started out with chiclids also (Oscars and jewels). But I got bored and tried saltwater. You're right, with a lot of research and trial and error, I quickly picked up (and realized fw is totally different than sw). But, I didn't have a great site like this when I was setting up. Its really not as hard as people think, it just takes patience. I'm sure you'll do well. And if you ever have questions or doubts, feel free to ask us, that's why we're here. We'll get you started in the right direction.

During the summer months, I run the ac all day to keep the temp stable. And the winter months aren't an issue. I started out with chiclids also (Oscars and jewels). But I got bored and tried saltwater. You're right, with a lot of research and trial and error, I quickly picked up (and realized fw is totally different than sw). But, I didn't have a great site like this when I was setting up. Its really not as hard as people think, it just takes patience. I'm sure you'll do well. And if you ever have questions or doubts, feel free to ask us, that's why we're here. We'll get you started in the right direction.

Are there any canon texts/books/documents that you would recommend? I am currently at the U of I until August, finishing my masters. Once I move to the next progression in my life, I would love to keep a solid salt tank, so the next 9-sh months are devoted to establishing a intellectual and theoretical base, before I drop my non-existent coin on the real thing.

Last edited:
Back