Snails help please!

Ukfan369

Reefing newb
I was looking at my tank today and realized i have tiny white snails all over my live rock, i noticed some eggs last week on the rock which i got rid of but now i have these tiny snails everywhere. What is a good way to get rid of them, i have some inverts so i would prefer to stay away from copper. Also any idea's on which species they could be?

They are probably colonista snails (google it and see). If so, they are not a problem at all.

Only a few types of snails are harmful; rarely do you have to get rid of them. Google sundial snail too. Those ones eat coral, but as long as yours aren't sundial snails, you should be glad you have a numerous and diverse cleaning crew (because that's what snails are).

I've got a question about snails. I often find some of my snails above the waterline on the back wall of my tank. Can these snails survive outside of the water? Or is it committing suicide?

They can survive for some period of time without water. A lot of snails in our tanks can be found in tidal areas in the wild, so when the water goes out, they are left exposed.

Hmm well i googled both the snails mentioned above but i cant tell if they are either one because they are so small right now, but my concern is there is 100+ of them and they showed up so quickly

They'll probably disappear just as quick as they showed up.Fish love snacking on those baby snails A LOT.
I've noticed the baby snails in my tank several times.But have yet to see one become an adult sized snail.

I agree with Bifferwine,there are usually a population explosion of collinistas at some time but generally will reduce naturally when the sytem matures.

When the lights goes out,check the glass and rocks.If you see more than that is most likely what they are.Generally,they are nocturnal.They have a closeup pick here.
http://www.xtalworld.com/Aquarium/hitchfaq.htm

I've got a question about snails. I often find some of my snails above the waterline on the back wall of my tank. Can these snails survive outside of the water? Or is it committing suicide?

I found a snail on the floor this morning...it must have jumped out last night :dunno:

Why'd you scare it?:mrgreen:

LOL yeah Yote I think it saw me coming and freaked.....UGH...dumb snail
....on a sad note...I found my bicolor blenney in the process of being eaten by an some crabs....now only the head remains :( :(

LOL yeah Yote I think it saw me coming and freaked.....UGH...dumb snail
....on a sad note...I found my bicolor blenney in the process of being eaten by an some crabs....now only the head remains :( :(

That stinks.But it happens.And thats why we keep a clean up crew.

Back