Snails with RTA fresh from the LFS

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
So I bring snails home from LFS and they have red turf algae (RTA)! My 20G Long in the basement is pristine, unlike my BC29 upstairs which has Colonial hydroids and red turf algae. All rock in the 20G long was bone dry then put in the tank. So I put them in a cup and bring the water level down so their shells are exposed and spray them with hydrogen peroxide. Now a few are dead. Yes -the rest are still in quarantine. What can you do to kill turf algae on a snail?

Last edited:
I probably would have taken a solution of 50% peroxide and 50% water and rubbed them with q-tips wet with the solution, scrub them with a toothbrush and rinse them in a small bucket of tank water before putting them in. Alternatively, taking them back to the store where they were purchased sounds like an even better idea. :)
How are the rest of the snails doing that didn't die?

The rest are looking fine. Hadn't thought of a Q tip. I know "Stop Aptasia" will kill RTA too. I may try the bath of 50/50.

If you try the q-tip method and then rinse them afterwards, I'd hold them upside down when you do it so that the peroxide solution doesn't run down into their shells.

Good luck!

Peroxide will obliterate a snail, keep it on the shell, q tip is a good idea, a cotton ball is too. Soak it in the peroxide solution, never put it directly on or you risk it running all over the place.

Back