Snowflake moray

reefer09

Reefing newb
i just recently purchased a snowflake moray and i am feeding him frozen brine shrimp, but i was curious to know if there is any kind of other food source that i can introduce into my aquarium that will thrive and reproduce for him to eat on his own.....

It is unlikely. :(

They are carnivores, readily accepting just about any meaty foods, including krill, shrimp, silversides and octopus meat. Unless already acclimated to frozen foods, this animal will likely need to be fed with live ghost shrimp when first acquired. Weaning can be accomplished over time. The feeding of freshwater feeder fish (goldfish, rosy reds, etc) will likely cause liver disease if fed to the eel, so they must be avoided.

Last edited:
iVE GOT A SNOW FLAKE AND HE EATS CLAM MEAT SILVER SIDES AND SHRIMP. REALLY ANYTHING THATS MEATY. (STUPID CAPITAL LOCK):frustrat:

welcome to the eel club! :D

first off how big is the lil dude and how often are you feeding him? eels grow pretty fast so they are gonna be lil piggies... I have an almost 22in snowie named Kona and currently he eats cocktail shrimp (cut in half) and silversides as well as some ghost shrimp every once in a while. be careful because they will probably go after any other fish you might have.

he's just a lil' guy about 6 inches long...and is very fun to watch... hes very curious too... i have a small damselfish and a tiny crab in the tank with him and he shows no aggression towards them at all....he follows the fish around,and sometimemes they chase eachother around the tank almost as if they were playing, witch is weird because from the research i have done, snowflakes tend to prey on small fish and invertebrates... but as far as feeding him, i have been giving him frozen brine shrimp, and eventually i want to start hand feeding him...

I agree with the others that meaty items will work fine. Get rid of the brine shrimp. It`s too small. Here is a pic of mine eating a piece of shrimp.

100_1859.jpg

Probably not the best selection for a 8 GALLON tank. You will have to feed it meaty foods, and either upgrade quickly or find it a new home. It will have outgrown you bio-cube in a matter of months.

Probably not the best selection for a 8 GALLON tank. You will have to feed it meaty foods, and either upgrade quickly or find it a new home. It will have outgrown you bio-cube in a matter of months.

I saw that tank size but thought to myself, surely not.
I think he must have another tank, too. :question:

my 18 inch snowflake will eat just about anything he can get in his mouth.. leaves my other fish alone for the most part, will chase my clown on occasion, but my clown aint hav'n it.. hehehe

mine likes frozen krill, and 1 cubic centimeter cut up chunks of fish i catch down at the coast... (not any time soon with that red tide tho...)
redfish, spec trout, i havent tried hardhead meat or jack cravelle yet, but i'm sure its just a matter of time...

oh, and just as a side note, mine leaves my mandrin alone... even tho he's bite sized...

as long as you keep him fed he won't bother the other fish. with my 2 eels i never had a problem with that... Kona once ate a clownfish but that was because i neglected to feed him and stuck him in with something bite sized.... wrong on my part. The damsels will eventually become dinner though once he gets large.

Also an 8 gl isn't anywhere near capable of keeping an eel alive... for maybe a week or so... but i'd go get yourself something bigger. when Kona was 5 inches he lived in my 20 and now has a 50 all to himself, but he'll outgrow that pretty soon too. They have a larger water intake than most of your fish will so putting him in a tank with a collection of other fish in that small of a tank probably isn't a good idea for long. They have a different gill setup so they have to suck in more water to breathe at a normal eel rate.

OH! and probably one of the most important things about keeping an eel... KEEP THE LID ON TIGHT!! they like to carpet surf... everytime a lid is open you'll find an eel on the floor. 100% guarenteed. they just seem to think the carpet is so much... sandier on the other side lol

Back