So I came across an article today...

hope you can find them biff, and beat the crap out of them kyle have you looked at her avatar or her pics of her build???????

He doesn't really come online here. He just made an account to introduce himself to everyone. Okay, I bugged him to make an account, so he was just doing what I told him to do :D. He helps me out with the tanks every day though, and he's a fast learner. He'll go to the LFS with me and name all the corals and fish in their tanks. Makes mama proud ;).

Sarah if you call the ASPCA they will investigate, most major cities have an animal crimes division of the ASPCA, that might be a place to start.

Oh yeah the live rock issue. There are legal mariculture sites in the United states off the coast of Florida. Four of them, two of them are currently providing live rock to the aquarium market. One is in the gulf of Mexico and the other off Key West. The Gulf of Mexico outfit is Tampa Bay Live Rock at http://www.tampabaysaltwater.com I do not remember the name of the other out fit as I have not done business with them yet. There are also mariculture sites being set up in several different over seas sites. This is being spear headed by GARF, who also owns one of the Floida sites. Those other two Florida sites were wiped out twice by huricaines so they are behind in development. A shut down in wild harvesting of coral is very likely on a world wide basis, in the near future. The foreign harvester are usually in hand paddled small wooden boats and are typically fisherman who are no longer allowed to propvide fish for the aquarium industry legally. And yes they are poor and yes they and their families often miss meals due to lack of money. The wholesale purchaser are chiefly Americans in the live rock market over seas. They hire the locals, they set the purchase prices and quota. WE once again are the exploiters of anothers assets.

Last edited:
Back