Some tips from LFS right or wrong

Reefydude360

Reefing newb
Well I went to one of my lfs and they said that for totally new sw tank owners he strongly suggests to start with a fish only tank because corals r extremly sensitive ( I extremly doubt it)and then upgrade to reef tank later so knowing that some corals r very hardy I ask the experts here is he right or wrong? Also what do u people think about skilters do they really replace both filters and skimmers?

Last edited:
Wrong and right.
You don't want to start with corals, but you do want to start a reef tank now if that's your plan. Everything in this hobby takes patience. Go slow and you will have a successful reef tank. There's lots of good info on this site in how to start a successful reef.

I have no idea what "skilter" is.
Live rock and live sand (and a refugium if you have room in your sump) will all act as a filter and a protein skimmer will pull out the leftover nutrients. On a reef tank you do not run a typical filter.

+1 d2mini

But IMO some corals are easier than fish, like mushrooms and toadstools. If you have the lights when you start your tank up, I dont think there is much point in waiting. Those guys flourish in new tank conditions.

Thank you guys and a skilter is a kind of filter that has a buit in protein skimmer saw them at the lfs and they had one on one of their tanks and some for sale.

I have not heard good things about the Skilters. You are better off just getting a protein skimmer. If you have a small tank (is this the 20 you are talking about?) then you don't need a skimmer or filter at all -- just water changes.

Many corals are easy to keep and can be put in a new tank. If you stick with soft corals like zoanthids, mushrooms and leathers, and easy LPS corals like frogspawn, hammer, torch and candy canes, there is no reason why you can't have corals right away.

Back