Some type of Algae?

Munch

Reefing newb
This reddish stuff is growing on just one of my rocks. It doesn't seem to expand beyond its established borders but sometimes it gets a hole in it from a crab or something and will heal back up after a while.

Good, bad, neutral? Does it come in other colors and can or should it be transferred to other rocks?

Thanks.:Cheers:

alg01.jpg

and sometimes it gets a hole in it from a crab or something and it usually heals back up after a while.

+1 Erin

Cyano can spread from 1 small spot and take over your entire tank..And its VERY hard to get rid of when it gets to that point

You can try and get rid of it through big water changes, check your parameters, QT that rock and take care of it, or kill it chemically with red slime remover I've just used the red slime remover and it's killed my one and only cyano problem. Killed it overnight and never saw it again. fish and corals never looked like the chemicals had an effect on them. Just got rid of the slime

Chemicals are really a last resort type of thing.

I'd just siphon it out every time you see it. I had a tiny patch in my tiny tank and after a couple days of doing that, it hasn't come back.

Thanks for all the replies! :Cheers:

That rock has looked like that since I got the tank from someone else a couple months ago, good thing I finally got around to asking what it was. I never liked the rock and it was just sitting by itself so I took it out of the tank. I will keep an eye out for any other spots cropping up and deal with them accordingly.

Yea, you can also syphon it off. It comes off VERY easy once you get close to it. But yea, only use chemicals after you've tried everything else. good thing you're catching it now. I tried getting rid of it for about 2 months till I finally coughed up like..10$ or something for the stuff.

Back