Spotted Mandarin in same tank with a green or red?

Gigaah

Reefing newb
I have a spotted mandarin. I decided to give it a try. I have a healthy pop population. Initially I saw him eating only pods. However after a couple weeks. I noticed he would always come out at feeding time and eat pretty much any of the frozen foods the other fish eat Bloodworms, mysis he'll pretty much come out and eat any of the frozen stuff once it settles to the bottom.

Well the fiancee wanted the spotted. I always wanted the red. What sort of probability it will be ok when if I add a red mandarin with my spotted? I'm a gambler, I keep a close eye on things. I have a very docile yellow tail damsel I tried out and he's very calm..even more calm that he was when I got him.
I was also wondering what the probability the red would start eating prepared..thought perhaps its something he might learn from the spotted? either way I got enough pods with my algea scrubber in operation keeps things stocked.

Any input is appreciated.

It's not an issue of running out of pods, in this case. It's that they will probably fight :( I tried two mandarins in my 240, and even in that size tank they fought until one kicked the bucket.

its only a 50/50 chance, and you'll probably need to try to keep it 1 male and 1 female. and thats still risking it :( mandarins arent very social fish

There are many fish available in this hobby that will fight there own species.

Tip: go to an Asian market and grab some orange sushi roe from the refrigerator section. Fish eggs are the most favored food of your tank's fish and critters. MDs will gobble them up and grow fat! I turn off the flow and drop the roe right in front of the MD. Also, sushi roe are super nutritious.

Personally I would not chance 2 MDs in the same tank.

With 2 different mandrines,you'd have a .01% chance that it'll work.
You'd have a 50/50 shot with a male/female pair of the same color.

A docile damsel? Are you feeding it narcotics?

Seriously, a 55 will be small for both those fish and they will likely (almost definately) fight. That said, each fish has its own personality (as can be seen from your docile damsel). If you do try it, and it works out, let us know. If you do try it and it does not work, get him back to your LFS. You may even be able to work a deal with your LFS so that they allow you to return him.

I'm a gambler. I honestly don't know if the spotted I got is a male or female.

Yes a docile yellow tail. He doesn't bother anyone..not my firefish, not the pj cardinals, not the scooter blenny, nor the mandarin or chromis not eeeven my teeny tiny clown goby. I grabbed the smallest/youngest one I could find across the 3 LFS. and he's grown up and is still a friendly guy. Havn't seen him even chase anyone since day 2. I always have my eye on him tho just in case...

I admire your approach. Gambling is good so long as it is a calculated gamble. We need people to push the boundaries of the hobby in order to gather information that may be helpful to others. I tend to be overly conservative when it comes to my fish fighting (I feel bad for them if they get beat up), and I tend to take risks when it comes to my corals. I have been lucky with some of my gambles. For instance, my majestic angelfish doesn't pick at any of my corals, but most advise against a majestic in a reef. So, good luck with your gamble. Please let us know how it goes.

:shock::shock::shock:
I've been considering a small saltwater croc in my 40g...hows that for a gamble?

But really, if that works out for you, awesome! Goodluck.

Well unfortunatly they did not have any. So I got an opposite sex Spotted mandarin. I also decided to get rid of a few my less specatular fish. I donated two chromis, a PJ cardinal, and the financee decided she wanted a sifter or two. So we donated our beautiful tiger gobi and purchased a golden head and dragon gobi.

We will see if they get along. The poor new spotted looks a little thin. Hopfully he'll improve in a better environment.

to tell the difference you can look at the dorsal fin, Males will have a long spine like fin that sticks up, the females also have one but it is small and stumpy

Update:
Try #1 = FAILURE. My resident Male spotted mandarin killed the female spotted.

Try #2
The resident Male spotted mandarin and the new addition Female Green Mandarin are co existing well. They basicly ignore each other like they do the scooter blenny and all other fish in the tank. If things happen to change I'll post but it looks to be going well.

Last edited:
The first one did not a first. after a few weeks he'll eat pretty much anything I throw in. The 2nd one I'm not sure yet i've not seen her eat any frozen food yet.

No worries about pod population either way. I have a constant high supply with the algae scrubber.

Yes. The scrubber will host them as well as aid in their number in the main tank.

Scrubbers really are quite a phenomenal thing.

my 55g has been 100% algae scrubber filtered since practically day 1. It has NO other means of filtration. I don't use mechanical(pads etc) filtration at all. Water readings are all zero. My water isn't CRYSTAL clear but my tank is healthier because of it.

hmm. I dunno, I don't really see how something with such small water volume would allow pods to reproduce. I think I'll stick with my fuge for pod growth....

Final update. Both the male spotted and the female green mandarin are fine. The ignore each other like they do every other fish in the tank just like they have since day 1.

Back