SPS Coloration

SSalty

Team Liquid Force
I am having trouble with the coloration of my SPS. When I add a new peice to my tank they will retain their color but within two weeks they lighten in color, not necesarly bleach out. This not only happens to my SPS but any other LPS that I have.

I have the Aquatinics TX5 (5 bulb individual reflectors) over my 55 gallon. My bulb combo is: (3) ATI Blue Plus's (2) ATI Aquablue special's. After working hard at maintaining my parameters and still no luck, I am wondering if I have too much light over my 55 that may be causing my corals to bleach. All the bulbs are on a total of 7 hours. Actinics come on 15 minutes before, and stay on 30 minutes after the daylights turn off.

My parameters:
PH-8.2---Seachem
Magnesium- 1400---Salifert
Calcium- 440---API
DKH- 8---ELOS

I use RO/DI water and do a 7% water change per week.

Feed Mysis shrimp everyday, and Rod's twice a week.

I am running no media, and Dose B-Ionic 2-part as well as magnesium.

I am running out of ideas as your advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Dont know Salty.
I've seen that happen in tanks thats using the zeovit and neo-zeo methods nutrients are almost no nutrients at all.

it is possible...... 55 is somewhat shallow for 5 t5's..... But again, lighting is so unpredictable..... even the coral at the bottom of the tank are bleaching /getting lighter?

You probably know more than me but I would up my light cycle from 7 to 9hrs. Most that I have read recommend 8-10hr cycle. jmo

Another point I forgot to make about the lighting. My Zoanthids grow out the bottom of my rock, the ones that are on top and are exposed to the most light never grow and are small in size. BTW, this rock is on the bottom of my tank.

How long has this been happening. I have rarely seen a case where a monti or an acropora has too much light. I run 400w MH's over mine. I have seen light shock, however, but this tends to be a temporary condition. Light shock occurs when the coral moves from a low light intensity environment to a high intensity one. This usually causes some bleaching, but the corals usually recover (unless they flat out die).

In my experience Acropora will lose color if there are too many nutrients present in the water. You may be able to get the color you are looking for if you use a protein skimmer.

How long has this been happening. I have rarely seen a case where a monti or an acropora has too much light. I run 400w MH's over mine. I have seen light shock, however, but this tends to be a temporary condition. Light shock occurs when the coral moves from a low light intensity environment to a high intensity one. This usually causes some bleaching, but the corals usually recover (unless they flat out die).

In my experience Acropora will lose color if there are too many nutrients present in the water. You may be able to get the color you are looking for if you use a protein skimmer.

Actually with my understanding, SPS will brown out with too many nutrients. They will bleach with too much light, un-stable alkalinity, or not enough nutrients.

I think my problem is a mixture of the three. I do have a skimmer but I am feeding the maxiumum amount of food that my skimmer can handle withouth having nitrates/phosphates problems. I will never buy another super skimmer:frustrat: They are alright for some applications, but not for an SPS tank.

Thanks to those who replied!

could be too much light, try dosing some amino acids and see if that helps darken them up, it could be a lack of nutrients

Dustin, what brand of amino acids to you recommend? Do amino acids come in numerous bottle like a 3-part sytem, or is it an all-in-one type of deal?

Thanks.

Back