SPS Polyp extension

BL1

I've been keeping SPS for about 4 months now and my original frag is doing great! Since then I've added about 8 more frags (acros, millies, and pociliporas). I can only see the polyps extending out on 4 of my SPS, the other 5 I've either never seen them extend or they're just barely peeking out of the skeleton. My question is, is that a sign of an unhealthy frag? And are they still alive or should I cut my losses and pull them out?

Thanks!

Last edited:
As long as there is healthy tissue on them and no RTN or STN, you should be fine. It may be as simple as finding them a diferent spot in the tank. Have you tried feeding them? I think the combination of the two may help out. Also, whats the water quality like?

I feed 2-3x a week (photomax, coral frenzy, or marine snow). I figured the spot in the tank and water quality shouldn't matter since they're all on the same frag rack and in the same water. And some of them are extending.
I'll post the water tests after I get home anyway, just in case though.

Some corals have smaller polyp extension than others and some barely show any at all like those smooth branch deepwater acros. It could also be where they're placed in your tank in relation to lighting and flow. Can you post any pics of the SPS in question?

Yep, as soon as I get home I'll post them up, one of the SPS in question actually is a purple deepwater acro.

Yep, as soon as I get home I'll post them up, one of the SPS in question actually is a purple deepwater acro.

I've got an ORA Hawkins Echinata deepwater and it rarely has the polyps out. I can sometimes see them at night after the lights have gone out for a few hours. When they are out they're only about 1-2mm in length.

Its ok. being a deepwater coral, they most likely feed in darker waters which is why they are out at night. I would venture to say that it is being phoyosensative. Try placing it at the bottom of the tank and see how it does.

I'm uploading pics of the corals to photobucket now and also testing the water so I can post my #'s.

Its ok. being a deepwater coral, they most likely feed in darker waters which is why they are out at night. I would venture to say that it is being phoyosensative. Try placing it at the bottom of the tank and see how it does.

Nope, even at night under the moonlights I'll look at the deepwater, and it's polyps are never extended more than the pic I post will show. I did notice however that a few of the corals kinda extend out but it's hard to see until I zoomed in with the camera.

So, here's where the waters at

pH 8.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Phosphate 0
Calcium 400
dKH 8

So, any thoughts?

Ok, so the first few are the ones that the polyps are extending on

PinkAcro10Nov.jpg

BlueGreenAcro10Nov.jpg

Millie10Nov.jpg

ForkedMillie10Nov.jpg

They look like they're doing ok to me. The need to get comfortable, encrust and start growing a bit then the polyps should come out a bit more.

Also, you might want to bump your alk up to 9-10dkh and calc to around 420-425. 8dkh and 400calc aren't bad, but a little higher of each seems to work better for me.

Your fine bro. They look great. +1 on what hiker said. Let them grow and get in the groove. Once comfortable, they'll grow like weeds. also, be careful with the coral food unless you have a good skimmer. It can pollute a tank in no time.

They look like they're doing ok to me. The need to get comfortable, encrust and start growing a bit then the polyps should come out a bit more.

Also, you might want to bump your alk up to 9-10dkh and calc to around 420-425. 8dkh and 400calc aren't bad, but a little higher of each seems to work better for me.
Thanks Hiker, I know I'm towards the lower end of the ideals but so far those numbers don't drop at all during the week. And I'm able to keep them at 400 and 8 with weekly 10% changes, so I'd rather not start dosing till I actually see those numbers dropping.

Your fine bro. They look great. +1 on what hiker said. Let them grow and get in the groove. Once comfortable, they'll grow like weeds. also, be careful with the coral food unless you have a good skimmer. It can pollute a tank in no time.

Thanks BigH, I'm using an octopus skimmer and skim pretty aggressively so far I'm not worried about my feeding schedule. I've been getting good growth on most of my corals and my water params have stayed good. I'm in the planning stages of setting up a sump for a bigger skimmer and possibly a scrubber so until then, if my water stays where it's at I'll probably keep up my current feeding schedule.

I do need to get a Mag test kit because I did notice that a few of the SPS have lost the colors they had when I first added them, not sure if my Mag levels could be the cause.

Back