SPS vs LPS -Why are SPS harder to keep?

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
I'm trying to figure out why my first foray into SPS did not go well. My Monti just turned brown and died off while my LPS look just great. Do SPS have different water requirements than LPS? Do SPS have an even lower tolerance for phosphates and temp spikes than LPS?

SPS tend to need more light than LPS. Also, from what I understand, most LPS come from lagoon type areas with a slightly higher nutrient content than where SPS are. I could be completely wrong on that someone else should be able to verify it if it is true.

It takes extremely stable parameters along with extremely low nutrients to support SPS.The also require a lot more flow than LPS.To the point that it would beat most LPS to death.

It takes extremely stable parameters along with extremely low nutrients to support SPS.The also require a lot more flow than LPS.To the point that it would beat most LPS to death.
So, does that mean you can't keep a lot of both in the tank?

So, does that mean you can't keep a lot of both in the tank?

Not at all. You just have to pay attention to where you flow is the hardest and keep the SPS in that area. Then you put the LPS in the low to moderate flow areas which are usually near the lower 1/2 of the tank as most powerheads are no where near the bottom so they don't create a sandstorm.

Not at all. You just have to pay attention to where you flow is the hardest and keep the SPS in that area. Then you put the LPS in the low to moderate flow areas which are usually near the lower 1/2 of the tank as most powerheads are no where near the bottom so they don't create a sandstorm.
I meant more about the fact that LPS like nutrient rich water, and SPS like lower nutrients

I agree with everything that's been posted already. :)
In general, SPS need more light, more flow, more stable water parameters, less nutrients. Like Dave said, you can keep SPS and LPS together but they have to be properly placed depending on flow and light.

I meant more about the fact that LPS like nutrient rich water, and SPS like lower nutrients

The LPS are perfectly fine in an environment that is suited for SPS. I have my tank at SPS quality params and have numerous LPS that are all growing and doing well. That works for me, but I'm not expert by any means. Just my :twocents:

Its not that LPS like more nutrient rich water.They really dont,but can handle more nutrients.Plus LPS are more active feeders,accepting things like zooplankton,small shrimp and copepods.
All corals have their nich on the reefs and can be kept together in our tanks.You just have keep each corals needs in mind when placing them.

Its not that LPS like more nutrient rich water.They really dont,but can handle more nutrients.Plus LPS are more active feeders,accepting things like zooplankton,small shrimp and copepods.
All corals have their nich on the reefs and can be kept together in our tanks.You just have keep each corals needs in mind when placing them.

That is the impression I am getting. LPS will withstand a small 'trate spike much better than SPS.

Do you have the need to dose your tank for Calc, Alk and Mag? Do you test for them as well? That could be an issue. How are your phosphates?

then why is my monti dying??

It could be that it wasn't as healthy as it should have been when you got it. Sometimes I think we get unhealthy specimens from the LFS or on-line, that may be on a slow decline. They die on us and we think we are at fault. Also some are hardier than others.

Back