Sps's out of water

Smitty

Reef pro
I have a question...when I do my water changes, my sps corals are out of the water during that 5-7 min time frame because they're all the way at the top...my question is, Is that safe to do so, especially on a weekly basis? I'm not concerned with lps's or softies being out of the water, but I've always wondered if that could have been the reason why my previous corals didn't make it.

Smitty, mine are the same way when I do water changes. I have not noticed any ill effects from them being in the air. Though I pull out enough to turn ,y pumps back on and empty my sump so they get splashed in between.

Thanks for the info guys...I'm trying to figure out why my sps's died so quickly when I tried keeping them. I thought maybe I put them in too high too quickly, or because they were out the water too many times during water changes. I know I have the proper lighting and the stable pristine water conditions...but I want to try again. My yellow potato chip pavona and yellow tip clavularia is still living out of the initial 7-8 I've tried.

Same goes for me Smitty. Some of my SPS are out of the water several inches each time I do a water change. It takes me about 15 minutes to do a complete WC and they're fine every time. The slime up and that helps to keep them moist until the water level gets back to normal.

So I'm thinking maybe I placed them too high/close to the light instead of gradually doing it. Even though they probably came from a stronger light than mine initially.

I always light acclimate sps no matter what lighting they come from. I start them in the sand bed or just above. Moving them every couple weeks but no more then 4" at a time until I get them where I want them.

Yep, you guessed it... Kes.
I talked to him a few weeks ago.

He is good people. He wanted to swing by here the other day but I was out on a job when he called me. If I remember right, he was running dual 250 MH lighting, and that potato chip was up near the top in his tank.

You're right, .he is a great guy. I had sent him a pic of my tank when I spoke to him, just to let him know how everything was going, and he was telling me "too bad I don't live out there, cause he would fill my tank up with corals". Hahaha...

Just throwin' it out there.....Do you have a or any leathers? Leathers can be toxic to some sps.

Also, I'm just starting to get into sps more...There are some in the past that I just can't keep....the pointy Birdsnest is one of them, milliporas, acroporas...stags, slimers...no problem.

I've tried to have a pink birdsnest on 2 separate occasions...they both died within a few weeks....odd since it's supposed to be not too difficult.

In my research on sps I found that leathers can be toxic...I happen to have 3 leathers...2 large, 1 small.

Does anybody want to buy some leathers? jk.

Yeah Prc...I do have a long polyp leather, but it's only about an inch tall, and half as thin as a pinky finger.

Back