Stand and Sump issue

Jkraft136

Reefing newb
OK i have a little issue. I got a great deal on a 30g diy sump already baffled and a mag 7 for 60$. Well in the confusion i forgot that i had no way to get it in
the bottom of the stand. I'm thinking about cutting out the middle piece between each door just to fit it in and then putting it back. Or Cutting a hole on the side and sliding it in. Which do you think would be best?

Heres a pic of stand. (Don't mind the chalk :P)

Picture.jpg

Picture158.jpg

Is the piece in between each door held on using screws? If so, you can unscrew them, remove the piece, slide the tank in, then put the wood back. I wouldn't recommend cutting those pieces out permanently. Cutting out a panel on the side would be better, as the panel isn't holding any weight.

You'll probably have to take in from the side.I had the same issue when I tryed to use my old 30 as a sump on my 75.I ended up sitting it beside the tank,which worked out good for me.

Well i would do that except my son would be all over it :(. So the safest bet were looking at is cutting a hole thru the side?

That would be the safest.You can always make a door where you cut it,to make it easier to get to for maintance.

I had the same issue Jkraft with getting my sump in my stand. On your second picture above if you notice with the door open the rear left piece of wood???? I cut that out a little bit and I was able to shimmy my sump in my stand that way. Once it was in I did my plumbing and slid the tank back and it was done.

This way I didnt have to cut out the side and make a door (that way would be fine too though). I have no trouble getting to the sump from the front two doors. It seemed easier to do and I didnt have to make a door for the side.

You can see at the bottom right how I cut a little bit out to fit the sump in...and those wooden blocks are in the front and rear of the sump to keep it from sliding around while I am doing maintenance.
DSC00319.jpg

Last edited:
Back