Starfish ID?

rubyfrogs

Reefing newb
Hello again all, I found this guy on a rock today I have looked up pics of starfish before as I had an asterina but this guy looks different, he is a rusty red color in the center and gets tan-ish towards the edges of his legs. Sorry for the poor pic quality I got water on my camera so it's from my cell phone. He is bigger than the asterinas I have seen in my tank before too, he is about .5" across and has 5 fully developed legs. One pic is from top one from his underside. Any ideas?

Attachments

• top starfish.jpg
    top starfish.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 469
  • understarfish.jpg
    understarfish.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 812
Thanks guys, do you think it's anything to be concerned about or should I leave him be? I know there is alot of debate out there about Asterina's, what are your opinions on them?

I dont worry about the ones in my tank.And I've never seen them harm anything.Mine tend to spend most of their time feeding on film algae and havnt really over populated the tank.

Here is a better pic everyone, my camera dried out from the water! YAY!!! He is on my thumb so you can get a better idea of his size. I just cant get over how symmetrical he is for an asterina.

Attachments

• SAM_0421.jpg
    SAM_0421.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 652
Last edited:
Back