STARFISH Question?

mrdarieus

Reefing newb
Good evening everyone, I have a question about my 55 gal tank!!! It has been up and running for 4 mos. tomorrow, while looking at it today I noticed what appeared to be 4 small starfish ranging in size, they are very small the boggest about the size of the bouncing blob(emotioncom). I am wondering why do they appear to have 6 legs and not 5? I looked at Doctor Foster and Smith web site and the look to be sand sifters!!! Can anyone give me some advice please!! What would be some more great additions I can add?

55 gal
80 #'s LR
40 #'s LS
1 yellow tang
1 bicolor Angel
3 blue damsels
12 snails
3 powerheads

Thanks but i didn't want to add any hermit or scarlet crabs

So far I have
80 #'s LR
40 #'s LS
1 yellow tang
1 bicolor angel
3 (blue)damsels--- trading them for 3 chromis
about 12 (small) snails that dig in the sand

After the trade I wanted to include
1 clown fish
1 watchman goby to sift the sand

Do anyone have any advice for other additions? I don't think my tank is mature enough ( 4 months) for some nice corals!!!!
Thanks Darieus

Trading in the blue damsels is a good idea. Mine got huge and eats stuff it's not supposed to eat and kills fish smaller than it. My favorite fish is a lawnmower blenny, I'd strongly recommend anyone get one, it's fun to watch and it does an excellent job of keeping the tank clean of algae. And if you don't have algae, you can still keep one by feeding it sea veggies and dried seaweed. I also have red firefish, they're unique and cool looking. A six line wrasse is also a pretty addition, and it eats stuff you don't want in your tank. I also have some cardinalfish, they're weird looking but cool. Just from my own tank experience, those are the ones I'd recommend, none of them are particularly expensive and are pretty hardy.

Some real good suggestions. only thing to add now is if you decide to keep a clam then a six line wrasse is a must. will eat clam drills (small paracitic shell boring snails). go slow and watch your bio load and water parameters. seems like you are doing good. happy fishin keep us posted.

i added 2 queen conchs, 2 caribbean conchs, 2 fighting conchs, they mixed up sand good cause last sand sifting gobie i had made a mess everywhere he got carried a way with sand making bill hills everywhere burying my coral.

star will will generally have 5 or 6 arms so the 6 arms are not uncommon.The one you have micro stars.It is good sign that your tank is maturing.Other than some other small fish adttion the addition of some more snail that dont dig like astra or turbo would be a good addition.As fare as coral goes 4 months should be ok for some beginner coral like mushrooms or zoanthids.What kind of lighting do you have?

Back