Starting build of a 45 gallon cube

ChappyChap

Reefing newb
Hey guys, just another newbie here. I've started a 12 gallon nano cube cycling that I picked up. Alls well so far. This one will more than likely be my mothers Christmas gift, I want to give it to her stocked and growing nicely with a fish or crustacean or two, some softies and lps corals. I'm also starting a build on a 45 gallon cube for myself. I've got a 6 bulb t5 fixture coming, and 52 pounds of live rock. I'll be running a sump that the guys at the local saltwater store will be putting together. I'm really into the inverts almost as much as fish, but I was kinda wondering my options for both. Whether I should run a refugium in my larger tank general advice. I've been reading a lot, trying to take in everything. I have good patience, I'll be buying pre cycled water from the store to kinda move things along. I keep reptiles too, selling the babies I produce has given me the money to do this and it's quite enjoyable.

Hey guys, just another newbie here. I've started a 12 gallon nano cube cycling that I picked up. Alls well so far. This one will more than likely be my mothers Christmas gift, I want to give it to her stocked and growing nicely with a fish or crustacean or two, some softies and lps corals. I'm also starting a build on a 45 gallon cube for myself. I've got a 6 bulb t5 fixture coming, and 52 pounds of live rock. I'll be running a sump that the guys at the local saltwater store will be putting together. I'm really into the inverts almost as much as fish, but I was kinda wondering my options for both. Whether I should run a refugium in my larger tank general advice. I've been reading a lot, trying to take in everything. I have good patience, I'll be buying pre cycled water from the store to kinda move things along. I keep reptiles too, selling the babies I produce has given me the money to do this and it's quite enjoyable.
welcome to the site. Any questions feel free to ask. We are all here to help each other..

Hi! Welcome aboard! The water itself isn't what needs to cycle. It's the rockwork and substrate that get seeded with enough bacteria that your water remains stable. One key to success is research and then research your research. :) There are lots of great threads about getting set up and running. Good luck!

Thanks Ted, I'm sure ill be between here and my local shop. Should I run a refugium or just use the sump they are building for me? Also, and recommendations of fish and inverts I should start with in both tanks? Here's a pic of the nano I've got going.
EDF5E7FE.jpg

Hi! Welcome aboard! The water itself isn't what needs to cycle. It's the rockwork and substrate that get seeded with enough bacteria that your water remains stable. One key to success is research and then research your research. :) There are lots of great threads about getting set up and running. Good luck!

Right, I started with some cured live rock and about a dozen bioballs as part of the filtration in the rear of the tank. I don't think the sand was live but it will seed in time. I've been reading all I can a couple hours a day.

I'm hooked. Can't wait to see the little biotope develop. The shop I go to has a great shallow coral frag tank and this huge 1300 gallon acrylic tank. It's too deep for any lighting to really grow coral anywhere but top of the rock structure. I'll take some pics when I go pick up my new stuff z

most people make a refugium out of the middle section of the sump. It all depends on how they are making the one for you. Ask lots of questions at the lfs and then ask the same questions here. Remember the lfs is there to make money so take that advice with a grain of salt so to speak. Refugium are fairly standard in the industry. Just make sure he isnt doing a wet dry. Bio balls will work but you will have a lot more maintenance issues. Those plastic balls need to be cleaned and most people dont do it so they have nitrate issues. Which is bad for coral. I would also recommend a skimmer, I would never run a tank without one.

Apparently it's going to drip onto some live rock rubble and there will be a skimmer, needle wheel not Venturi. They are doing it in a 20 gallon tank. I wish thinking of doing a seperate refugium in the future. Or should I just forego them building it and buy a prefab unit with refugium online? Money isn't much of an issue ill be putting a grand into it either way.

ask to see the layout, it doesnt sound bad at all. a 20 gallon tank with the right baffles will work just fine. My sump is intake with skimmer (some live rock in there as well) refugium (live rock with chateo) bubble trap then return pump. If you have the space for a separate refugium is even better. The more water volume the better. My display is a 45 gallon and the sump/fuge is 15 gallon..pretty much maxes me out.

So I could do like a five or ten gallon refugium in the future? With a deep sand bed and rock etc? I'll ask to see the layout; but I think i remember them talking about a bubble trap baffles and return pump the tank is predrilled. What should I buy online and what should I get from them? I'll be putting mostly precycled water and sand and rock in there so I shouldn't have to wait long should I? Not that I mind they just said using water from their setups would speed things along.

yes if you have the room to add one later that is always a option. I am not a fan of DSB, once they are going the slightest disturbance of it will kill the tank. Live rock and cheato is the way to go in my opinion. Sounds like with a external pump you will have a lot of room in the sump...might just build the fuge there. I would compare prices between what he offers and what you can find. I try to buy what I can local, after all if he goes out of business where will I go...but some places are really high on things. My lfs was quoting $1500 for what I wanted...I went online and spent $400...Now was not all the name brand stuff he was wanting me to buy but....Money is something that I dont have a lot of. since then I have made several purchases in his shop. He is a great guy and has more knowledge then I will ever have but he is one out of 8 shops in my area...The others..well lets just say I dont shop there. Most of the time I can beat my lfs prices buy $10 to $15 I dont mind spending that little extra to keep him running..Its a fine line...

Back