Starting fish only tank

smiley4284

Reefing newb
I am starting a 75 gallon saltwater tank. I put in live sand, sea salt, added a xp 3 canister filter, heater, stock 40 watt light, and prime solution for ammonia and such. Is this sufficient for fish only tank? If not what is recommended as a must or just really good to have?
Thanks

With a fish only tank especially, a canister filter isnt my reccomended equipment for filtration. Most really light bioload reef tanks may be able to pull off a canister filter with ease, but it will become something that you will NEED to clean extremely regularly or else it will crate high nitrate levels. Secondly another thing that i would reccomend with a fish only tank that you invest in a good protien skimmer for all the bioload from your fish waste.

From what I've heard from everyone, seaclone skimmers are a waste of money. My redsea prism pro is working very well but I think you'll get better reccomendations from others on the board for an octopus or something else. Just my opinion, hope that helps. Good luck!

A seaclone skimmer on a 75 gallon tank is a lot like farting in a wind storm,Just a wasted effort.
If your going for cheap.Then dont go any cheaper than this:http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4392+13924&pcatid=13924
But go with the 125 model.But I'll still say to get one of the octopus skimmers over the corallife.
The canister filter will pull the crud from your tank.But you'll have to anal about keeping it clean and maintained.Without weekly cleanings,it'll spike your nitrates to the point of uncontrolled algae and sick fish.

I have one of those, it needs lots of adjusting or it will overflow and catch your powerstrip on fire...not that it happened to me or anything ;)
Its ok for the price though, but you kinda get what you pay for.

My computor had some problems so i had to restart everything and make a new account, so i lost all my shortcuts and stuff, but anyways the link that i was going to post was, some guy did a qouple elbow mods and a meshmod on the ps75 and said it was better than his euro with half the price!

I apologize for high jacking your thread, but a quick responce will do. Will I need a skimmer for my 30g saltwater fish only project.

Save yourself a nightmare and spend the money on a good skimmer. Im running a canister filter and a skimmer. On top of that I have a sump/refugium with a load of LR and cleaning crew in it. It works great for me because between the mech filtration, the bio and the chemicals I don't really do much in terms of maintenance. You can find some great deals on decent skimmers on ebay. I highly reccommend Octopus, I love it. Good luck and let us know how it goes. :)

Back