Starting from square one.

Nemo2010

Reefing newb
Alright guys as you know i started my aquarium with sand and crushed coral. To the advice of the awsome people in this forum i started from square one again. Basically i checked my levels at the pet shop and they were so off i mean my PH and Amonia was over 300 Parts Per Million LOL thats crazy and i didnt even have fish in the water lol. So i drained the whole tank, put new LIVE SAND ONLY in it 40lbs worth in a 75gal aquarium. Fillied it with water put my chemicals in for declorination and such along with salt and BOOM the filter is running lol. The filter is running and the tank actually looks clearer now then it did the first time i set it up. and remember i just finished about 5 minutes ago. Thanks guys for all your help with getting this going. I will start posting pics and such on the progress of my coral system and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cool...you're gonna thank yourself later for getting rid of that crushed coral. Did you use ro water or tap water to fill your tank?

I hate to say it,But I think that somebody at your LFS dont know much,or their using bad test kits.
With ammonia over 300,You'd be able to smell it.Plus the PH would be extremely low.

But you'll love the sand a whole better,especially as your tank matures:D

I used purified tap water and declorinating chemical. Stress coat. I know i will be happier and better to do it now then when i have stuff in it lol. And yes i could smell the amonia in the tank not SUPER strong but when you were standing by the tank you could smell it lol kind of weird.

Back