Starting Saltwater Aquarium

I ended up getting the biocube hqi 29. My lfs had it for 430 plus the stand. Can't wait to get my tank setup! I'm waiting until tomorrow to get the live rocks so I can come up with a design. Thanks again for all the help!

You should setup up your tank, fill it and mix the salt for about 24-48 hours at least before you add your LS and LR. That way the salt has time to fully dissolve.

Supraz;328949If thats the case said:
The live rock isn't going to die, just some of the stuff on it will die off and help start your cycle. They're not sacrificial pieces of live rock. Good luck with your tank. Welcome to the site. All of the information that you need to have a successful tank is on this forum...If you can't find the answer just ask.

This may be a silly question but...... :| now that I have the tank unboxed theres small peices of styrofoam inside. Once I pull out all those tiny peices do I need to rinse the tank with something? If so what?

Thanks...

Yea, you should rinse it out just in case there is dust or something else in there, when I did mine I just used distilled water and a new sponge to wipe everything down

Yea, you should rinse it out just in case there is dust or something else in there, when I did mine I just used distilled water and a new sponge to wipe everything down

Perfect BL1! Hopefully i can get started tonight after work... If not i dedicate my saturday to this.... I cant wait to get the saltwater and live rock in there.... :mrgreen:

Hi!

Sorry I didn't see this thread before - but thought I'd add my :twocents: anyway. :) I looked at the HQI as well and almost went with that one. Read about the heat etc and alot of people in another thread have used this to help overheating issues:

Azoo Cooling Fans

Runs across the back and helps cool it. It was definitely on my list.

(I just got lucky and had a BF who researches like mad and had some extra cash or I'd have HQI instead of LED.)

So far, I cycled with LR (#25) and was cycled in 1 week. NOW I am just getting up the courage to put live critters in. :helm2:

All the sponges say not for aquarium use..... is it OK to use those kind for the initial wipedown before You add the salt water?

I added the water and i have everything hooked up. The directions for the protein skimmer say to adjust the airflow adjustment nozzle so that bubbles stay just above the reaction chaber.... However I dont see any bubbles period... Any ideas?

Don't know what skimmer you have but there should be and airline that goes to or near the pump. Make sure it is not kinked or blocked

Because if the rock is sitting on the sand, the sand can shift beneath it. When the sand shifts, the rocks will fall. The rocks need to be sitting on a solid foundation -- the glass.

Back