Starting Saltwater Aquarium

so all my live rock and base rock is on the top of the sand for around 3 months should i push it down to the bottom then ?

It will normally tank a new skimmer 2 to 3 weeks to break in and start working. Also, if there is nothing producing organic compounds -- like if your tank is just water, there is nothing for the skimmer to pull out, so it's not going to work.

If you use tap water conditoiner or dechlorinator, that will also prevent the skimmer from working.

The Biocube 29 HQI has the light for corals. I spent a lot of money making my biocube 29 do what the $500 Biocube HQI does.

It will normally tank a new skimmer 2 to 3 weeks to break in and start working. Also, if there is nothing producing organic compounds -- like if your tank is just water, there is nothing for the skimmer to pull out, so it's not going to work.

If you use tap water conditoiner or dechlorinator, that will also prevent the skimmer from working.

Thanks. I didnt use tap. The LFS said they make theirs from RO/DI water so i bought my saltwater from them.

The Biocube 29 HQI has the light for corals. I spent a lot of money making my biocube 29 do what the $500 Biocube HQI does.

How much water is in each of your chambers? All of mine are pretty full and im worried i may of put too much water in.

This is a new tank with nothing in it but saltwater...Could that be the reason im seeing no bubbles?

Don't think so you should still have bubbles. Even if it was fresh water there should be bubbles, it has to suck air in from somewhere Try blowing into the valve to see if it is blocked. Sorry I know nothing about that type of skimmer

Set your rocks on PVC couplings with holes drilled in them . then add the sand

Last edited:
You can also set your rocks on lighting diffuser grids (egg crate) that you can find in the lighting department at Lowes or Home Depot. It will help distribute the weight of your rocks. Just another option. :)

Don't think so you should still have bubbles. Even if it was fresh water there should be bubbles, it has to suck air in from somewhere Try blowing into the valve to see if it is blocked. Sorry I know nothing about that type of skimmer

Set your rocks on PVC couplings with holes drilled in them . then add the sand

The part on the Skimmer that prevents water from flowing back electronic pump part is made of rubber and the seal on it wasn't broken until I took it apart and squeezed it with my fingers. Now I have bubbles! Thanks for the help

One other thing. I feel like my protein skimmer is hanging low in my tank. The chamber is filling with water way to easily. It is safe to use electical tape inside the tank? I want to put a little electical tape on the inside of the clips that hangs on the chamber so that it can hang a little higher.

Electrical tape is safe to use. You can remove the filter cartridge if you want. If you have 1 to 2 lbs of live rock per gallon, your tank will be fine without it, especially since you have a skimmer. Those filter cartridges will be useful to run for a few days every month to clarify the water, though.

Back