Stay tuned! The begining of a DIY 10G sump

inside with PVC glue

However.. some have a smooth bore on both sides and some have a thread inside one side. So if you want some plumbing on the inside of the tank you need to either PVC glue a pipe inside and do what ever you want, or to add a threaded bushing then glue accordingly... is that as clear as mud?? :confused:

yep I get it thanks. I have my drain line all plumbed how I want it.. nothings glued yet though.. Ill wait until I have my return plumbed to glue everything at once so i dont miss anything. (Rather safe than sorry!) On the end of my return line back into the tank.... I was wondering if using a flow accelerator was smart..... I just dont want the plain PVC piping "powerhead" in the tank.

yep I get it thanks. I have my drain line all plumbed how I want it.. nothings glued yet though.. Ill wait until I have my return plumbed to glue everything at once so i dont miss anything. (Rather safe than sorry!) On the end of my return line back into the tank.... I was wondering if using a flow accelerator was smart..... I just dont want the plain PVC piping "powerhead" in the tank.

I don't know about flow accelerators..

But a couple of suggestions.. put valves in all lines of pipe just in case you need to shut them off in the future for some reason and today the PVC ball valves that glue in are cheap. Also, I like to spend a few bucks for unions between any tank and other tanks or sumps.. you know those are the joints that slip together then have a threaded sleeve. here is a link of a picture of one.. they come in PVC and Home Dopot and Lowls carry a few sizes but it is hit and miss.. you may have to try a commercial plumbing supply.. besides those places are WAY cheaper. They will be the pricey piece in your plumbing but in some places are a wise addition to think through.

GF Piping Systems 897-002 Union, 1/4 In, Socket, PVC, Schedule 80

You don't want to put a ball valve on the overflow side, because you don't want to restrict the flow at all on that side.

IMO an open ball valve will not restrict flow.... but ... it will provide a way to shut it off if you have a future reason... this why a ball valve and not a gate valve.
The unions are to provide you a place to disassemble that pipe if you need to... you don't need one on every pipe.. just the ones that you can't get out or apart without one.

Last edited:
Few pictures of my project thus far.. one step at a time :).. This is my plumbing I have so far.. pictured is my drain line.. I havent gotten started on my return line yet.

Attachments

• 37gproject.jpg
    37gproject.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 314
  • 37gproject1.jpg
    37gproject1.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 293
  • 37gproject2.jpg
    37gproject2.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 333
exactly..
The union would let you take that L off if it gets in the way of some kind of work. Some people would just not glue those lower joints.. but with my luck it would come apart while I was out of town a few days! I'd glue them up. But I'd put the ball valve higher and put the union just under it so you can take most of that pipe out easy if you need for work room etc. The ball valve would let you shut down the flow and there are many reasons that could be needed... like to keep the water in the tank at normal level and drain the sump. I have a ball valve in my line between the pump and the tank too.. it lets me keep the water in the lines from running back into the sump when I work on the pump connection for example.. that isn't much water but it can count sometimes. Sometimes I shut both valves then kill my pump and do things. I find it just one more handy thing to have. .. for a cheap price.

Last edited:
It does make sense, and theres a peace of mind thank you very much. Ill post more pictures when I install the union and ball valve tomorrow.

Drain line is complete! Now I can start on the return plumbing.

PERFECTION!.... :bowdown:

don't you love it when you take the extra effort AND the plan comes together??

You could slip a joint collar over the bottom end and add a short piece IF you need to, but don't glue it if you do... for sound, bubble control, and flow... wait and see if.

Last edited:
Ok cool, what exactly is a joint collar? do you have pictures?

I will be working on the return line today and will post pictures when complete.. I need to go out and buy an adapter to my mag pump.... and a few elbows. I will be making the lines identical with the ball valve and union. Uniform piping :D

Did some rock scaping today as well.. I have a Female tomato clown and shes a jerk.... hoping moving the rocks around will help for a bit.

Attachments

• 37greef.jpg
    37greef.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 254
Back