steelcity's 55

steelcity

Reefing newb
Well since I upgraded from my 16 bowfront to the 55 I'd figure I should start a new one. I didn't take any pics during the assembly period. I got the 55 free from a friend. The stand was a standard pine stand that was pretty rough. I sanded it all down and painted black. Put all new silver hardware (knobs, hinges, and magnets to hold doors). Looks pretty modern and very nice.

All of my critters from my 16 made it over. 2 firefish, 1 black clown, 1 yellow watchman, corals, cocoa worm, arrow crab, and the clean up crew. Once set up for awhile I picked up a coral beauty who is pretty sweet and a cleaner shrimp. I added a few more to the CUC and keep doing so as we go along.

My corals consist of shrooms, zoos, duncans, 1 candy cane head, 3 trumpets, and red/green blasto. I recently picked a frag of an acan. can't wait for that guy to start growing.

All pics from iphone. Don't have a pimp daddy camera.

arrow crab somewhat in cave after I gave him krill
arrowcrab.jpg

cocoa worm whose keeps on growing and adding on to his tube
cocoaworm.jpg

duncans after they just ate. my favorite crab (zebra) and yellow watchman peeking out
duncans.jpg

hairy shrooms
duncans.jpg

zoos and the clown
zoosandclown.jpg

full tank
fts1.jpg

full tank
fts2.jpg

my acan frag is behind the zoos and the camera hog (clown is blocking them). The rock in front of the cocoa worm has some xenia on it from the old tank. They are trying to make a come back. I had some decent stalks in the old tank but a bumble bee snail did some work on them I think. I pitched the snail and they're trying to comeback.

I just picked up the second piece of duncans with 4 heads on it. The first one I got in March I think and he hasn't splitted yet. It eats regularly, puffs out, loves his location but just hasn't split. Hoping by adding the two pieces that they'll grow.

Here's my blastos currently
blasto.jpg

Here they were when I got them a few months back
761809.jpg

Now when I got them there was 5 heads. Now there's like 10. So they are growing but they aren't as full/blown up as they used to be. They tend to be retracted a bit now but still grow. Not sure whats up with that. I tried putting them in higher flow areas and now they are in a moderate area.

Last edited:
::reminiscing about when my tank glass was coraline free::

Very nice rock work. and great lookin duncans. Mine is in the process of pushing out 9 new heads. :^:

I'm sure your blasto's are extending their base and they'll spread out a little more, then the heads will blow up once again. Have no fear.

I'm starting to get coraline spotting. I like clean looking glass better than all crusted up but its a losing battle. Since its a new tank I'm going through the normal cyano battle. The back glass has some on it. I try to run the mag float on the back but since I painted the back, the float sticks a little. Thus tearing the latex paint so I stopped that. I try to use my scrub brush but it's not as convienent.

Stupid question but: have you just tried guiding the float without touching the paint? won't be as much pressure as full on contact but it's better than nothing.

the arrow crab was bad ass when I threw him in there. I picked him up during a dive. You see them everywhere. It seemed like in two weeks the dude ate some roids and blowed up. Thinking about dumping him. He's starting to dominate and he'll storm all over the place as soon as a flake of food hits the water. Walkes over the zoos and makes them close up.

Here are the hairy shrooms

hairyshroom.jpg

I picked these up at a local meeting for $1. I had another rock with two on them but I took them to the LFS for credit since I only paid a buck for those as well.

The zoos in my tank came from this colony
zoos.jpg

I bought this rock off of a guy in Orlando for $40. It had at least 300 heads. It was as big as two softballs. I fragged the hell out of that for credit. Ended up with like $250 in credit at the LFS. That credit bought all kinds of stuff. And I still have big chunk with well over 100 heads now.

Here's a bad picture of a crab I found hiding in a rock. Never seen him before. He does not look like a "good" crab. He's red, has a wide body, pointy claws, and has little hairs sticking up all over his arms.

You can see him in the 2nd hole from the top and to the left of the white rock sticking down. I lured him out with a piece of krill. It's gonna be a pain moving that rock since it took me a while to stack them that way. Going to have to lure him out and stab him with the feeding stick I have.

crab.jpg

I'd say that one is bad news.
As a general rule,if the tips of the claws are sharp pointed,the crab is generally going to be a predator.If the claws are dull tipped abd cup shaped,there fairly safe.
The claws will clue you in.

picked up some new pieces this weekend from my local stores. Got a 2 headed purple hammer, brain, and aussie orange torch. Just wish I had a good camera to show them off. The iphone doesn't capture the colors.

Brain
brain1.jpg

brain2.jpg

Hammer
hammer1.jpg

Torch
torch1.jpg

torch3.jpg

Tank
fulltank.jpg

The orange torch with the actinics on is pretty bad ass. The arms all have a bright orange color to them. Looks very cool when they are swaying. Can't wait for this thing to get bigger. The one at my LFS in their display tank is awesome.

Got them all for a decent price. Columbus Day sales this weekend. I went on Friday and scoped out what I wanted. Doors opened at 10 on Saturday. I got their at 1005 and there was already 10 people there. I knew that brain and torch wouldn't last long.

Back