steelcity's 55

found a second porcelain crab last night. cool little guys. Also the pods in my tank are crazy. Cope's and amphipods. I had good rock from my 16 and then I added a bottle of tiggers because I'm waiting on my redtail wrasse. I wanted to make sure he'll have enough food. I shined my light in a cave where one of the firefish was sleeping. Large amphipods were smacking that guy in the head trying to scurry away. Thought it was pretty funny.

Here's a pic of my new adition. He's a flame tail blenny or bi color blenny. I just call him my Steeler fish.

blenny.jpg

He was only 10 bucks. This dude loves to eat. Gets along great with everyone and no one really paid any attention to him when he was dropped in. The clown came over to investigate a little but now they swim side by side along with the coral beauty. He darts around all the cracks and caves. He's also good at picking up the vermetid snail cobb webs.

Also the other day I woke up early for work. Checked the tank with my flashlight and see this pink blob on my rock with the acan on it. Looked like a jelly fish at first minus the tentacles. I rubbed my eyes again and I see it moving. It had a couple little "things" standing up on it. Guessing they were antennas. Looked like very small xenia branches. So I thought to myself and said it was a nudi of somesort. I take 30 seconds to rinse the skimmer cup and when I come back it's gone. It moved to the rock next to that one. This thing moved quick. I don't know if he's good or bad but next time I see him whenever that is, I'll pull it out of the tank so I don't have to find out.

Waiting for my LFS to get me a red tail wrasse. It's been on my wishlist for a few months now but they can't get one in. They had a very nice looking yellow tail in that had bright blue around her tail but was already 6". Sat there for a few weeks before somebody picked her up. She was eating everything. Had she sat there a little bit longer I'd have probably taken her but, still waiting for my red tail.

Those lil blennies are awesome fish.Congrats:D
When you catch the unknown critter,post a pic of it before youo toss it.It'd be a shame to throw out something thats good for tank.

Caught my unidentified crab today. Saw him when I was feeding everybody. He grew a little bit since last I saw so I was easily able to tell he was a stone crab. I quickly dispatched of him.

Caught my unidentified pink thing the other night. It's about the size of the quarter and soft but when you touched it or poked it, it hardened up (insert joke). Has 3 little dark spots you can see in the picks. The two dots close together had single antennae coming out of them. The single dot had a little "tuff" coming out. Looked like a small xenia. Had 3 little branches but they all receed when you tocuhed it.
nudi1.jpg

nudi2.jpg

That's a great lookin' Blenny steelcity.
As for that other thing ????
I have had one before too. I thought it was a nudi of some kind.

did my water change today. will do a blackout for 65 hours starting from last night when the lights kicked off. Hopefully knock down the stuff growing on the glass.

The Steeler blenny has become pretty comfortable in the tank. If heads over to the watchman's area the watchman flares open his mouth and gills and the blenny will leave. Sometimes he opens his mouth but he retreats. Looks like two hippos off of Discovery. The blenny also has two little fangs.

things have been looking good for the tank. After my blackout last week the algae problem has been better. Not totally solved but much better. Still float the glass but no where near what it was. So maybe one more small blakcout.

My duncans have finally sprouted some babies and have been nice and full. My acan frag is starting to grow out and color nicely. The brain has been looking very nicely and after I fed it a piece of krill last night, it looks especially fat.

Some good pickups this week. A very good condition Sybon refrac with fluid for $20 and a very nice RO/DI unit for $65 with new filter. It was a 60gpd but the guy took it over to our LFS and they revamped it to make it 75gpd.

The clown has been lovin up on the duncas lately. He gums them, rolls in them, and defends them. He's pretty entertaining to watch. With the departure/lost of the firefish I went to the LFS today. I re-did the hoses on the RO unit so I have enough length to set it up in the garage and connect it outside to the hose faucet.

Picked up a nice piece of green favia. The thing just pops under actinics and even daylights. Finally got in my Sunburst Anthia I was looking for. He's a bit small only around 1" but the streaks on his face pop under the actincs. He acclimated well and is swimming in the back of the tank so far. I can't wait for him to grow up.

And last is what I think might be my favorite fish in the future. Had no intentions on buying him but with a deal and a picture of what he his supposed to look like when mature, I said ok. Whitetail bristletooth or bluelipped. Seem to have found it listed under both. He's pretty small right now but already has some nice colors in person. Has orange dots around his head and orange strips going down the side. Has a blue outline to the whole body. He acclimated very well and is all over the place. He introduced himself the the coral beauty and black clown with no problems. He's been checking everything out so far.

Thanks but it's actually black.

The Sunburst still has yet to come out. Just stays in the back but he ate last night so I'm not worried.

well my big mushroom in fact split into 3. My trumpets finally pinched off to create a new head and now with heavy feeding the duncance are taking off. Picked up a couple of new members on black friday. One is a hoevens wrasse and the other is a condei fairy.

The hoevens buried himself in the sand at first but came out later and this guy eats more than my clown. He goes ape $hit when its feeding time . The condei still has yet to come out. He still plays dead under the one ledge. He thought about coming out for food but quickly retreated. He'll get hungry soon enough. Very nice colors on both of them.

I have always liked the tail spot wrasse. Cool looking, and so pretty! It's nice to see a different type of yellow fish (cough, tang, cough).

Back