Sterilizer and a Manderin goby

stokesrl

Reefing newb
I have a bad red algae problem and am thinking about getting a UV sterilizer. I have a manderine goby for several years in my reef tank. Will the UV sterilize kill the copepods that the manderine chows on? Is there other adverse effects?

I have new bulbs, good waterflow and keep the tank clean. Phosphate is .75mg
THanks

First off,welcome to the site.
A UV will kill any pods that happen to get sucked through it,as well as the good bacteria.But it'll also kill any algae spores that go through it.Its kind of a toss up.Tie between the pros and cons I guess.
But really,most of the pods are gonna stay in and around the rock work though.
By red algae,I'm assuming its cyano bacteria.Did it start after you bought new bulbs?

I've run a 57 watt UV on my 150 gallon for over a year now. It hasn't effected my copepods one bit. (though I had a heater problem that did) Often I thought I had too many of those little suckers. At night the rocks looked like a stirred up ant bed. They were everywhere.

Do you have a refugium? Someone should be able to say if this is correct or not... but if you have a fuge, and most of your pods are coming from there, an in-line UV sterilizer should be placed somewhere before it. That way it won't kill the pod growth from the fuge when the water is returned to the tank.

Back