Stock Questions

MarineMan

Reefing newb
Hey guys!
My tank was recently wiped out by a parasite and I am back at square one. I need to make a new fish list but wanted your opinions. I have a few options in mind already, here are the specs that I would like to go by. I have a 40b and would like community or semi-aggressive tankmates, Must be reef-safe, want medium to large size fish (the lager type of fish for my size aquarium), fish that are not the "usual" (such as a pair of ocellaris, although I wouldn't mind having these), and I would like fish with a great personality! Comments would be appreciated and Thanks in advance!:D

Well, in a 40 gal tank you are limited to 4 or 5 fish and most of the fish that will live happily in that size tank tend to be a bit smaller.

I would check out either the coral beauty or flame angel (50/50 shot at being reef safe), the flasher and fairy wrasses, gobies, blennies and clownfish. Clownfish have great personality and i just love mine, I almost feel like a tank isnt complete without a pair! The other fish I truly love (and he loves me back ;) ) is my starry blenny.

Check out this site to learn about lots of cool fish. Make sure you check the size requirement!
Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums

Also, just a comment about disease wiping out your tank. Fish will rarely come down with any disease when they arent stressed. Its just like us catching a cold. I would be willing to bet that you and most of your classemate are sick during finals week. Fish are easily stressed by having too many fish in the tank, or the tank being too small for the fish. So its really important to choose fish that can live happily in your tank, with the other fish you have. Doing that, plus feeding a good diet and keeping up your water quality will give your fish years of good health and a happy life.

I only had 3 fish (pair of clowns and a royal gramma) when they were killed. I think they had it before. That's why I set up my QT! Thanks for the information though! Anyone else?

i would go with a watchman goby...i used to have one that had a pistol shrimp follow him everywhere and would dig out hole for them to hide. its was pretty cool.

Oh okay, so now I have a job for you. If you obtained a 40b and was not rich, but not super poor either, what would you stock fish wise? Let's see the lists rolling!

Two clown fish, a tribal blenny, and a orchid pseudochromis. Then after the tank was well established and could handle a larger fish load, I'd a flame angel.

Little Fish gave you awesome suggestions. She named everything you can basically have, try looking up blennies, gobies, the wrasses she named, dwarf angelfishes. Picking out your fish is the best part!
My tank would be lame without my flame angel. But, yeah, you want your tank to be re-established again first. Check out beeguiles tank, she had a tank about your size and really worked hard to have unique fish, you can see what worked for her and what didn't.
I'd go Banggai cardinal, clownfish, the pseudochromis Little Fish suggested and, after some months, a dwarf angelfish.

Okay, I think I got it! I have another question though. I have been hearing that Snowflake Morays can live in a 40b. Is this true?

40 gallon would be pushing it in my opinion. They can get pretty big, also, you said you wanted reef safe and no small fish or inverts would be safe.

They are the "most reef safe eels" -- yes. But that's just because the other eels are not reef safe at all. :lol: There is still a risk of them eating your inverts and small fish, although it is much lower than the other eels.

I would pass on the clowns. In my opinion, clowns are overrated. And in a smaller tank where you can't have too many fish in the first place, I wouldn't "waste" two of those fish slots with a pair of clowns.

Back