Strange New Creature In My Tank!

Thanks to everyone who has helped me. I will go with the chemical. Hopefully next time I make a new discovery in my tank it will be a good guy not a bad guy! LOL

The aiptasia X works ok but when you use it make sure it stays where you intended for it to be bc if not it could drift and land on something else and potentially kill it, but sometimes dont. I heard the joes juice works but ive never used it, and it is safer for the tank

Last edited:
Hopefully I have killed the first one. I ended up having to take the rock out of the tank. I couldn't get the chemical into the %#@&*$% thing. Every time I got close to it, it would close up. I used boiling tap water first then covered the area with chemical, let it soak in then I covered the area with super glue. If it comes back out I'm going to transfer my Cabbage Leather onto another rock and put the infected rock outside in the Texas sun for a couple of weeks. I've spotted another pest on my Xenia rock. This one is going to be more difficult since it's growing in the middle of the Xenia. Any suggestions since I seem to have such problems injecting the Aipistia X? I'll check out Joe's Juice.

Why was the Aiptasia X difficult to use? It's okay if it closes up -- just smother it with the stuff. IMO, Joe's Juice isn't as effective and is more difficult to use than Aiptasia X because it is runnier.

Thanks Sarah, Directions said to let tenicles wrap around needle and make sure chemical went into it's mouth so it would be ingested. I about drove myself crazy! That's when I decided to do what I did. I'll take my Zenia rock out of the tank and doctor the area and see what happens. You're my hero!

Ahhh yeah. If you go slowly towards it with the syringe, it may not "see" you coming and won't have a chance to close up! But if it senses you coming, it will retract. That's when I just blast the whole thing with the Aiptasia X! :lol:

Once you does a spot on the rock with the Aiptisia X, how long before you can glue another frag to that area? Or is that spot toxic from now on?

I had a big one pop out of nowhere on a frag plug last month and had some kalkwasser laying around so I made a paste with rodi water and shot it at the mouth of the aptasia. Shriveled right up and hasn't come back yet.

Nanna, in my experience, if the slightest piece of tissue remains in the area, eventually the aptasia will grow back, even from under crazy glue. If you can take the rock out to pick or dremel out the area, I would do that, but that's just me. I glued zoa polyps right on top of where I had an aptasia and 5 months later I had an aptasia growing right out of the stem of a zoa! I wish I had taken a pic. hth

Once you does a spot on the rock with the Aiptisia X, how long before you can glue another frag to that area? Or is that spot toxic from now on?
Once you have removed the excess you should be fine. I inadvertently covered little red fan worms, and they survived. Possibly a tiny little portion of LR might die off, but nothing you would really notice.

I had a aptasia that I was about to dose and then it was gone! Who ate it? Nassarius, hermits, emerald, goby? I have no idea. It's been gone for 6 weeks and no evidence of others! Any ideas? Thanks

Fortunately, the two I have spotted have been on two small rocks that I have been able to take out of my tank easily. I will take them back out and use my dremel tool to give them a nice cleaning. Thanks for the tip!

Last edited:
ok guys, I've found 4 more today. I'm using a magnifying glass with a light on it to look for them. They are all very small, but I know they grow quickly, I'm fighting with Aiptasia X, Dremen Tool, and boiling tap water. Is there anything safe to dose the tank with that will kill them? If I'm spotting these guys in the front of my tank I know they have to be where I can't see or get to them. I'm determined to win this battle! Does anything eat them?

Berghia nudibranch eat them but will die when aptasia are gone so IMO it's kinda cruel to use them unless you can pass it around after the job is done.

Ok, I need everyone's input. If I'm seeing 3 - 4 new apistisia a day and there is no telling how many I haven't found in my live rock and other places I can't see. Do you think my infestation is large enough for me to get a Berghia nudibranc? I was reading their lifespan is only about 8 - 10 months. i don't want to buy one and have it starve to death. That is just to cruel and I couldn't do that.

Back